TV Diary

a) "The Voice"
The whole time my wife and I watched the first episode of this, we were just constantly raving to each other about how this show is everything we wished "American Idol" was and how instantly more entertaining and engaging it is than the last few seasons of "Idol." So far I haven't even been especially bowled over by any of the singers' performances or found anyone to really root for, I'm just enjoying the general high level of talent and the novelty of the format and that the judges are all actual talented successful vocalists whose opinions actually mean something.

b) "Game of Thrones"
My wife is a big fan of the book series this is based on and her excitement is kind of infectious, but I find I can only remotely follow this show or take an interest in what's going on if she kind of provides a commentary track explaining what's going on and what it all means. And even then I'm not exactly on the edge of my seat, since half the cast is total dullsville. But Peter Dinklage is pretty consistently entertaining.

c) Cinema Verite
Really struggled to get into this HBO original movie, although really I think I just don't give a damn about the whole Loud family thing.

d) "The Paul Reiser Show"
I kind of feel like the last person left in 2011 who'd openly say y'know "Mad About You" was a pretty good show and I have no problem with Paul Reiser. His new show was not great, and definitely wasn't built to last, but I do feel bad that it got canned after only two episodes. The one I saw with Henry Rollins had some really funny moments, and the show had a nice comic rhythm that didn't at all feel like the mimicry of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" that the premise had a lot of people dismissing it as.

e) "Traffic Light"
This show felt kind of flat to me at first but it's really been growing on me, particularly with the "bonebag" episode and to a degree the one after that too.

f) "Treme"
So far the second season is as well-meaning but ultimately devoid of entertainment value as the first. The scenes with Davis and Annie being a couple are kind of charming, though.

g) "The Whitest Kids U' Know"
In some ways this show is a nadir of a certain post-"The State" (or, if I'm being generous, post-"Kids In The Hall") style of sketch show where broad comedy and silly comedy premises and bad sketch troupe acting are so relentlessly satirized that you often end up with something far more aggressively dumb that simple failed comedy would be. Now and then these guys do strike upon an honestly funny idea and execute it well, it's just rough going at times.

h) "Fraggle Rock"
My son is 19 months old now, so he's not quite at the age where we're really watching kids' shows or TV catered toward him yet. But I love that I can put on Hub and see some childrens' shows I grew up on, so now and again we put on "Fraggle Rock" and I get really nostalgic and sing the theme song to him. What a great show it was!
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment