The 2011 Remix Report Card, Vol. 6

"Dance (A$$) (Remix)" by featuring Nicki Minaj
I hate to admit how much I love the beat on this song, and that while I begrudge it being given to Big Sean, it almost makes for the closest thing to a Big Sean song I can actually dig and kind of works his annoying flow and obnoxious sense of humor to its advantage. But obviously Nicki murders him on this song anyway.
Best Verse: n/a
Overall Grade: B

"Just In Love (Remix)" by Joe Jonas featuring Lil Wayne
As much as I wanted to hate this song when it came out it is kinda catchy. Putting a generic Weezy verse on it is weirdly a good look, it's just two different kinds of pleasantly mediocre finding a good common ground.
Best Verse: n/a
Overall Grade: C

"Moves Like Jagger (Remix)" by featuring Mac Miller
"Moves Like Jagger" actually has quietly turned into one of my favorite pop radio jams of the year, so I'm kind of disappointed that they turned remix duties over to this fucking cornball who makes me almost miss Asher Roth. This trend of clubby pop songs having rap remixes with halftime drums like "Till The World Ends" and "T.G.I.F." is starting to feel a bit predictable and stale too, and the breakdown here isn't nearly as good as it is on those remixes.
Best Verse: n/a
Overall Grade:

"Niggas In Paris (Remix)" by featuring T.I.
I really can't stand this ugly fucking beat but T.I. at his best has a way of sounding natural and effortless on any track, the uglier the better.
Best Verse: n/a
Overall Grade: B+

"Party (Remix)" by Beyonce featuring J. Cole
Maybe Andre 3K realized how garbage the last couple singles he's been on are, since he didn't show up to the video shoots for either. In the Lloyd video, a CGI cat lip syncs his verse, while in the Beyonce video her
Best Verse: n/a
Overall Grade: F

"Quickie (Remix)" by featuring Big Sean
I hate Big Sean so much that I was prepared to just give this an F but he actually kinda calmed down and worked to fit the vibe and tempo of the song (even if he still speeds up ahead of the beat a little here and there like he always does), so grudging respect I guess, that he can do something that isn't completely annoying.
Best Verse: n/a
Overall Grade: C

"She Will (Remix)" by Lil Wayne featuring Rick Ross and Drake
This version leaked right before or at the same time as the album version, so not really a remix so much as just an alternate version that for some reason wasn't used as the proper single. Anyway Ross is Ross, no surprises here.
Best Verse: n/a
Overall Grade: C+

"Spend It (Remix)" by 2 Chainz featuring T.I.
Another remix from the newly freed Tip's recent run from cameos, anointing ATL's next big buzz. I like 2 Chainz in general but "Spend It" always felt kind of generic and perfunctory, like a placeholder single until he scores a serious solo hit. Not as much fun as the "Niggas In Paris" verse but still pretty dope, this is the kind of beat T.I. needs to be getting on his next solo record.
Best Verse: n/a
Overall Grade: B
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment