Monthly Report: February 2012 Singles



1. Young Jeezy f/ Jay-Z and Andre 3000 - "I Do"
Been meaning to put this song in this space for a while and now it's pretty much run its course but I've still pretty much never gotten sick of it, even that dumb Jay verse is at least pleasant enough that I don't need to change the station for it or anything. Sure it's a transparent "International Players Anthem" knockoff but it's also probably Andre's best verse since then, that has to count for something.

2. Travis Porter f/ Tyga - "Ayy Ladies"
I'm not sure if I even like Travis Porter so much as I love the producer of all their big singles, F-Ki, who has this great playful ear for strip club bangers that feels somewhat derived from the Mannie Fresh/Mouse On Tha Track mold but totally has its own feel and great use of vocal loops and weird left field textures. Even Tyga, who is still just too embarrassing to exist even after "Rack City," can't ruin this song. It also feels like Travis Porter are the only guys on the radio who actually sound happy to be partying, everyone else is on that Drake sadsack tip or mean mugging.

3. Foxy Shazam - "I Like It"
The very day that my column about butt-themed hit songs ran, I was in the car and heard this song on the radio (which features the chorus "that's the biggest black ass I've ever seen and I like it"), and immediately felt chagrinned that I'd missed to chance to include it in the article. It's apparently already a top 10 mainstream rock chart hit, too. Totally ridiculous and stupid, but that cross section of Zep and Queen that they hit sounds really great.

4. Jennifer Hudson f/ Ne-Yo and Rick Ross - "Think Like A Man"
Although I loved "Spotlight" and "No One Gonna Love You," I feel like there's a definite sense that J-Hud's records so far haven't really performed to expectations or lived up to her vocal talent or her whole industry golden girl status. So when I heard this song I was like damn they really hit the mark, this should be huge, even if it's from the soundtrack for some dumb Steve Harvey movie. The song hasn't really caught on yet, but it still just sounds great. She looks amazing in the video, too.

5. Robin Thicke - "Love After War"
Love the album, love this song, and it's charted pretty well but for some reason I haven't heard it on any of the R&B stations here much (one of them played "Pretty Lil Heart" for a minute but that one's just not nearly as good).

6. Eric Church - "Springsteen"
The first time I heard this song, I had just turned on the radio from listening to The Promise, and have been in a big Bruce phase for a minute anyway, so it really just felt like this perfect serendipitous moment. The song itself could be better, but it hits enough of the right wistful notes to get what it's going for.

7. Nicki Minaj - "Stupid Hoe"
At this point I feel like giving Nicki any kind of encouragement is a bad idea, but whatever, this song is fun, I've rarely ever heard a diss track so gleeful and silly and relentless.

8. Monica - "Until It's Gone"
Really nice little song, nothing special but much better than the overhyped Brandy duet that just followed it up.

9. The Foo Fighters - "These Days"
After getting over my initial disappointment that the most "Walk"-like song on Wasting Light was released as the next single, I remembered I still do like this way more than "Walk" and have given into it as another good if not great FF single to throw onto the ever growing pile.

10. B.o.B f/ Lil Wayne - "Strange Clouds"
It's crazy that B.o.B is so far gone pop that even his first song in a while that actually sounds like rap is produced by Dr. Luke. The shit bangs, though.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment