Movie Diary

a) The Avengers
I enjoyed this, really well done. I've always been pretty cynical towards Joss Whedon because of the kind of overly adorable quippy Mary Sues he tends to create, but putting him in charge of a cast of established (and mostly male) characters just lets him exercise his gift for zippy dialogue without getting to cutesy about it. It helps that the Tony Stark character and sense of humor is already well established and he does a good job of being faithful to that, and bringing the rest of the cast into the banter so that Downey isn't just running the show like he totally could. I mean shit, this kinda made me want to go back and watch the Thor and Captain America movies.

b) The Muppets
This was pretty cool, it wasn't quite the ideal modern Muppet movie but it was close enough, and Jason Segal and Amy Adams are kind of the perfect human leads, easily better than anyone in the old movies, where the non-Muppets were total dead weight.

c) Hanna
I suppose we won't and probably shouldn't ever tire of badass action movie heroines, especially young ones who are deceptively vulnerable-seeming. But as far as those things go, this movie just kinda went through the beats and I never really felt compelled by it, like the trailer had already told me everything to expect.

d) Super
I'm clearly not sick of superhero franchise movies, but I am pretty sick of satirical/meta superhero movies, almost as sick as I am of Rainn Wilson and Ellen Page. So I guess I was trolling myself by even watching this. There are so many of these movies now that I literally got an hour into this before remembering that this and Kick-Ass are two different movies. It really is amazing how insufferable Ellen Page is, you can tell she's trying to be funny in this and it's just painful.

e) Ten Inch Hero
Sometimes I see these shitty straight-to-DVD comedies on cable and I just find myself astounded that people really worked hard to make this and put it on a screen somewhere. And then I keep watching anyway because they went to the trouble of putting pretty girls in it.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment