Movie Diary

a) Crazy, Stupid, Love.
Other than my antipathy for "The Office," I will watch Steve Carell in pretty much anything, even the corny dramedies like Dan In Real Life and Little Miss Sunshine. This, unfortunately, is a little closer to those movies than his full-on comedies, and Carell as sympathetic middle-aged sadsack is becoming a bit played out, but it's alright, has its moments, particularly in the first half. Towards the end it kind of falls into some really lame, predictable beats in the denouement, though. Emma Stone is great as always, though.

b) X-Men: First Class
The old X-Men trilogy wasn't perfect but they really did a good job or putting together an ensemble that gelled and made it watchable no matter what. That doesn't really happen here, and nothing else matters really, since we've already seen these effects in those other movies.

c) Just Go With It
I almost feel bad for Brooklyn Decker, she had an unusually brief reign as America's favorite giant-breasted swimsuit model before Kate Upton took her spot. She looks good in this movie, obviously, but it's not really worth it to watch, it's still an Adam Sandler movie. 

d) Sanctum
My wife was watching this, but she also has a total claustrophobic reaction to situations like the one depicted in this movie, so I'm not sure if she even finished watching it. It was kind of harrowing at times, but I never really got into it for felt anything either way about it.

e) The Green Hornet
Watching this movie, I get a distinct sense of what Seth Rogen was going for an appreciate that he was trying to get a cool director and cool cast together and do something creative and offbeat with a second-tier superhero franchise, but aside from these little flashes of cool stuff it really doesn't come together. Somehow the whole thing kind of looks shitty and has a really off rhythm.

f) happythankyoumoreplease
I feel bad for Josh Radnor, there's not really any reason he can't be in other high profile projects like everyone else but "How I Met Your Mother," but instead he's spent most of the time the show's been on the air getting this passion project off the ground that turned out to just not be very good at all. Not as bad as the title or anything, but nothing memorable. Malin Akerman without eyebrows is only slightly more creepy and off-putting than she is usually.

g) Let Me In
Pretty cool, moody little horror flick, definitely one of the best 'modern' vampire flicks I've seen.

h) 13 Going On 30
I've been told by some people that don't go to bat for any old rom-com that this is an especially charming one. I dunno, though, I tried watching it and it was kinda dumb and not very funny, if admittedly amiable. 

i) All I Want
I met Mandy Moore recently, when I was working the teleprompter for an event she was speaking at. It was kind of cool, since I have long swooned over her in movies, and she was beautiful in person, but it was a pretty awkward way to meet and I think she thought I was a jerk or incompetent or something because I wasn't properly prepared for a rehearsal. Anyway, one of her movies that I hadn't seen was on cable so I felt the need to watch it afterward, and she's as lovely in this one as in any other, although otherwise it's just kind of a boring Elijah Wood coming-of-age movie.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment