TV Diary

a) "The Greatest Event In Television History"
Adult Swim had been advertising this special involving Adam Scott and Jon Hamm, whille making a point of not coming out and saying what it was, that I stayed up and watched it on Thursday night just to satisfy my curiosity. What it turned out to be, which I feel OK spoiling because it really wasn't much of a joke, was a shot-for-shot remake of the opening credits of "Simon & Simon," preceded by a 10-minute making-of mockumentary starring Paul Rudd as the obsessive director of the project (in reality Adam Scott directed it). It had its moments but at a certain point the ironic name and deliberately underwhelming result kind of felt like a disappointment, given the talent involved, just like the kind of hype and disappointment they were satirizing. I mean, how many times can Adult Swim go "lol 80s TV" over and over?

b) "Nashville"
I was skeptical about this show's buzz because it looked like the same plot as that damn Gwyneth Paltrow movie, but wow, this really is easily one of the best pilots of the season. Kind of feels similar to "Smash" in its attempt to use a certain corner of show business as the backdrop for a backstage soap opera for the first time on TV, except here the music is less of a focus and the drama is much more convincing (although still kind of boilerplate). I don't know how to feel about this show making me extremely attracted to Hayden Panettiere, though, I wasn't prepared for that.

c) "Chicago Fire"
I guess the networks try to do a sexy firefighters show every few years, huh? There has to be a new way to tell stories about this profession, and if there's not they should just stop trying, this is so boring.

d) "Beauty And The Beast"
I was just channel surfing tonight and The CW was playing this, fuck outta here, man.

e) "666 Park Avenue"
I think I'm starting to get really intolerant of supernatural type shows on TV, which were kind of rare and fun a few years ago, but are now just in overkill mode. I have no idea why anyone thought this show was a good idea.

f) "Last Resort"
This is another one of my favorite pilots of the fall, partly because it strikes such a good balance between high concept and solid, convincing drama. I joked that the pilot was the best "Star Trek" episode in years, because even through the wild premise and the cheap sets and effects, with the crew bouncing around the boat when they got "hit," it all kind of worked, because it was thought-provoking and dramatic, and Andre Braugher is a great conflicted Starfleet captain type character. I didn't find the second episode as gripping but I'm still excited to see where this goes.

f) "Elementary"
My wife was super excited about this and seemed to enjoy the pilot episode, but hasn't been in a rush to watch more episodes. It wasn't as stupid as I expected it to be, but the whole thing rubs me the wrong way and Lucy Liu wasn't really good enough to make the sketchy 'female Watson' concept work.

g) "The Neighbors"
I almost want there to be an alien-themed sitcom that's good, because hey why not, but this ain't it.

h) "Vegas"
Super boring show -- if you're gonna have Michael Chiklis play the heavy, you've gotta raise the stakes from "The Shield," because anything on a straightforward network drama is make him seem so dull and defanged by comparison.

i) "Partners"
One of CBS's annual transparent attempts to groom the successor to "How I Met Your Mother," this time with TWO architect characters! I don't feel like I've seen enough of this to really judge it either way, though, and I think David Krumholtz is too likable not to be on TV, and Sophia Bush is too good-looking to not be on TV, so maybe I'm kinda rooting for it?

j) "Mr. Box Office"
Amazing trainwreck of a show on The CW that stars Bill Bellamy (as a disgraced movie star who has to teach high school for some reason?) with Jon Lovitz, Gary Busey and Vivica A. Fox. Just a fascinating pile of shit.

k) "Brickleberry"
This, though, this is the actual worst new show of the fall. I actually kind of like Tosh's standup and "Tosh.0," when he's not too smugly 'edgy,' but this is basically a transparent "Family Guy" knockoff with worse drawing and even more smug edginess. Just unwatchable.

l) "Mob Doctor"
I liked the premise of this show at first, until I realized that they'd basically never be able to do anything with it that wasn't done better in Tara's storylines on "Sons of Anarchy." Also I don't think Jordana Spiro can carry a drama, networks should be focused on trying to put her in a sitcom less crappy than "My Boys."

m) "Bomb Girls"
It's sad that the Reelz Channel keeps jumping into original programming with retro crap like that "Kennedys" mini-series, all these post-"Mad Men" period shows that are basically an excuse to dress up actresses in cute old-fashioned frocks are, well, they're appealing to me on a shallow level but not compelling enough to watch more than once or twice.

n) "Live! With Kelly And Michael"
After the year of post-Regis guest hosts, it seemed like there were a lot of possible new co-hosts for Kelly Ripa but I had no idea it would be some random genial ex-NFL player. It works better than I would've expected but it's still an odd fit, I don't really understand the decision.

o) "Big Morning Buzz Live"
Another bland talk show I pass the time with on mornings when I don't have work, although Carrie Keagan is just so incredibly bland that it kind of underlines how good Kelly Ripa actually is at this very silly line of work. It's cool to occasionally my music crit homie Rich Juzwiak pop up on one of their discussion panels, though.

p) "Key And Peele"
I didn't love this show in its first season, but these guys are growing on me. They still seem to have one really obvious lame sketch for each one that works, though, and the host segments kind of fall flat.

q) "Homeland"
The idea of this show winning a ton of Emmys is kind of absurd to me, but that first season was pretty addictive stuff, and I'm interested to see where they take the story this year, partly because I have no idea how they'll get out of the corner they painted themselves into. A couple good moments in the episodes so far, nothing amazing but I like where it's going.

r) "New Girl"
Still the unlikely maybe best comedy on TV at the moment, was excited about Schmidt getting an Emmy nomination as I was confused by all the "Homeland" wins.

s) "2 Broke Girls"
This show is still kind of awful and I still kind of don't care and watch it anyway. I liked the self-aware bit about "vagina going mainstream" in the season premiere, though.

t) "Treme"
Now that David Simon has confirmed that there'll be just one more season after this, I'm like OK man, I've gotten this far, I'll try to get to the end with you and see if you're able to justify this ride somehow. It really is just kind of bizarre how low stakes this show feels, it's like one of the least eventful non-procedural dramas in TV history.

u) "Raising Hope"
Kind of was less enamoured of this show last season than I was when it started, but it's still really very consistent and the cast just works together so well.

v) "Modern Family"
Another show I kind of want to dislike on principle because of its absurd number of Emmys, but when I watch it it's pretty decent. Loved Phil's bit this week: "Dance until your feet hurt, sing until your lungs hurt, act...until you're William Hurt"

w) "Parks And Recreation"
I've settled into a nice groove of not understanding why people overrate this show so much but still finding it mildly enjoyable. I like the Ben/April dynamic this season.

x) "Warehouse 13"
I tried watching this season when it started, then got bored and got off the bus. But then more recently there was a marathon and I started catching up, and started to like this show again, partly because they seemed to have realize that Claudia is the best thing about the show and made this season center heavily on her.

y) "Sons Of Anarchy"
This is really just the most gut-wrenching show on TV for me, as far as the combination of emotional impact, shocking plot twists, and over-the-top violence and gore (maybe some people would say "Breaking Bad" or, I dunno, "The Sopranos" beats it in those categories, I dunno, but this is it for me). I'm continually amazed at how much darker it keeps getting. But man, I love it.

z) "30 Rock"
Fuck what anyone says, this show is going out at the top of its game, first episode of the last season was great.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment