The 20 Best Country Radio Hits of 2012






















One of the reasons I was interested in dividing my top 100 singles of the year into different top 20s for five different radio formats (pop, R&Brockrap and now this) was that 2012 was the year I finally felt confident in doing a year-end list of country singles. It was only of the above genres that I didn't do a list for in my best of 2000-2009 lists, and I've always wanted to step my game up in being at least conversant in mainstream country; I didn't really grow up with it, but have enough southern roots and basic deep-seeded whiteness that it resonates with me when I do listen to it. And while I'll always take a George Jones classic over anything being made today, I don't really turn my nose up at commercial stuff, I appreciate what the Nashville establishment is doing at least some of the time. My following of commercial country previously peaked in the mid-2000s and then tapered off for a few years, until I finally put a country station in the pre-sets on my car radio and made an effort towards writing a couple of installments in my old Voice singles column about country. So this year I feel plugged in enough to speak on some of the stuff I loved and hated. As usual here's also a Spotify playlist of these songs (most of them, anyway):

1. Eric Church - "Springsteen"
#1 Country Songs, #19 Hot 100
Much of country radio sounds like classic rock now, especially a lot of the stuff on this list that resonated with me most, so it's no surprise that my favorite of the year was one that invoked classic rock right in its title. But I appreciated that aside from a few song title references, Church didn't get too on the nose or try to sound like the E Street band, and that thumping, understated beat and spare, echoing piano had a certain wistful melancholy that was all its own.

2. Little Big Town - "Pontoon"
#1 Country Songs, #22 Hot 100
I have to say, it's impressive that Little Big Town recorded a more effective summer jam this year than any rapper. I was drawn in at first by that funky little (mandolin?) hook the song opens with and the immature chuckles warranted by the "mmmmmotorboatin'" refrain, but it really is just a killer radio song.

3. Eli Young Band - "Even If It Breaks Your Heart"
#1 Country Songs, #29 Hot 100
Another song that wormed its way into my good graces with shameless AOR vibes, in this case some very Tom Petty riffs and a cheesy inspirational sentiment that was just close enough to my heart to feel affecting rather than mawkish.

4. Toby Keith - "Beers Ago"
#6 Country Songs, #52 Hot 100
Toby Keith has always had a flair for drinking songs, but I'm starting to worry about the guy: his last 4 consecutive singles have all been beer-themed ("Red Solo Cup," this, "I Like Girls That Drink Beer" and "Hope On The Rocks"). I can't knock a guy for writing what he knows, though, especially when this was his best ode to alcohol since "I Love This Bar."

5. Montgomery Gentry - "Where I Come From"
#8 Country Songs, #71 Hot 100
Eddie Montgomery and Troy Gentry, like Toby Keith, are just some lovable bastards that always hit my sweet spot with a nice shameless anthem, and this did great just by openly aping their best song, "My Town."

6. Kacey Musgraves - "Merry Go Round"
#22 Country Airplay
This song really struck me big time the first time I heard the local station introduce it as a new song they were trying out late one night, and I knew right then that it was either going to be a big hit or just a critical favorite, just how different it was from everything else on the airwaves. Of course, it turned out to be the latter (though it's actually still slowly rising up the charts), which is fine, I think in a way it's kind of cheesy in just how unvarnished and cynical it tries to be, but it works.

7. Zac Brown Band - "Keep Me In Mind"
#1 Country Songs, #35 Hot 100
This is kind of a borderline 2011 song, came out last year and topped the chart early this year, but it really took a while to grow on me. It was always strange and pleasantly surprising to hear basically a funky blue-eyed soul song on country radio.

8. Justin Moore - "Til My Last Day"
#2 Country Airplay, #51 Hot 100
This song just started rocketing up the charts in the last few weeks and Moore's voice was really striking, I instantly kind of sat up like "damn, this guy is definitely one of the best singers on country radio right now."

9. Lee Brice - "A Woman Like You"
#1 Country Songs, #33 Hot 100
An incredibly schmaltzy, corny, cheesy, cutesy song that I am enough of a sappy old married person to enjoy.

10. Alan Jackson - "So You Don't Have To Love Me Anymore"
#25 Country Songs
Jackson is part of that set of country stars that's been making hit after hit since at least the '80s or early '90s that has finally started to lose some momentum in recent years and lose ground to the newer generation. It's a shame this song didn't break his unprecedented streak of songs that missed the top 20 of the chart, though, it's really a beautifully heartbreaking song.

11. Jake Owen - "Alone With You"
#1 Country Songs, #41 Hot 100
I resisted this song for months and months of ubiquity, but it finally won me over relatively recently. I think I just hated Owen's voice reflexively from "Barefoot Blue Jean Night," but in this song he sounds really good. I like the way that last line kinda trails off.

12. Jana Kramer - "Why Ya Wanna"
#3 Country Songs, #50 Hot 100
This is basically the exact same lyrical scenario as "Alone With You," but from a female perspective, and a little less rueful and sultry, more, I dunno, whiny. But still well drawn and convincing. Apparently Jana Kramer is an actress from "One Tree Hill," good for her I guess for successfully making the leap to music.

13. Casey James - "Crying On A Suitcase"
#20 Country Airplay
I love country music for these kind of evocative little story songs where you get a lot of the gist from just the title.

14. Kristen Kelly - "Ex-Old Man"
#28 Country Airplay
This sassy little trifle partly appeals to me in part because the little guitar break reminds me so much of OMC's "How Bizarre.

15. Taylor Swift - "Begin Again"
#10 Country Airplay, #7 Hot 100
In a world where she's revered as a songwriting God or reviled as the new great Satan of pop country, I'm a Taylor Swift agnostic who's only any good for one or two moderately enjoyable singles from each album cycle. This time around, it's a sappy little ballad, which is not usually the case. But hey, maybe she's learning something from those James Taylor records.

16. Lady Antebellum - "Wanted You More"
#20 Country Songs, #34 Hot 100
As far as pop crossover acts go, Lady Antebellum is more my speed, they have at least a couple singles now that are minor classics to me. This one feels a little overdramatic and undercooked, but the guitar lines are really great and atypical for country radio.

17. The Band Perry - "Postcard From Paris"
#6 Country Songs, #60 Hot 100
It feels like most of the vocal talent on country radio is on the male side, but Kimberly Perry has a pretty appealing voice, I'm not even sure I like this song that much but she sure sings it well.

18. Easton Corbin - "Lovin' You Is Fun"
#5 Country Airplay, #57 Hot 100
When commercial country is chipper, it can get pretty ugly, but I dunno, man, this song swings just enough that I'm tapping my toes and I'm like alright, this stupid song is nice despite the Christine McVie rip. Corbin seems like he has pretty good influences as a singer and could just use better material.

19. Carrie Underwood - "Good Girl"
#1 Country Songs, #18 Hot 100
This is kind of big and broad but well done, and I enjoy those big catchy vocal ululations at the beginning of the chorus. It just has so many hooks, I feel like if this was done by any pop artist it would've gotten praised to the heavens.

20. Blake Shelton - "Drink On It"
#1 Country Songs, #39 Hot 100
Shelton always seemed to me like a likable guy with a good voice who was destined to stay in the middle of the pack, but then his famous wife and reality show gig really made him into kind of a household name, and I'm happy for him. His stuff isn't amazing, but it's often pretty good, especially this song -- love the way he says "your boyfriend cheated on you, man he sounds like such a prick."

bonus bile:
The 10 Worst Country Radio Hits of 2012
1. Thomas Rhett - "Beer With Jesus"
2. Keith Urban - "For You"
3. Kenny Chesney and Tim McGraw - "Feel Like A Rock Star"
4. Brad Paisley - "Southern Comfort Zone"
5. Dustin Lynch - "Cowboys And Angels"
6. Aaron Lewis - "Endless Summer"
7. Dierks Bentley - "5-1-5-0"
8. Big & Rich - "That's Why I Pray"
9. Hunter Hayes - "Wanted"
10. Miranda Lambert - "Fastest Girl In Town"
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

This comment has been removed by the author.
 
"basic deep-seeded whiteness"

How does that explain Darius Rucker, Charley Pride, Cleve Francis, Ray Charles and other black folks who have recorded or listened to country music? Or maybe you were just being funny with that whiteness reference to your interest in country
 
You're cherry-picking my words to make a point that I'm not sure needs making. Read the sentence again, I was referring to my own "basic deep-seeded whiteness," not that of the genre (although I'm not sure how controversial that would be either, despite the genre's blues/gospel roots or handful of notable black artists).
 
That said "country = white people" is a pretty facile thing to say in any context and I could've done without saying that -- the fact that I spent much of my childhood in the Blue Ridge Mountains or visiting with my grandmother from West Virginia are more relevant to bring up.
 
Post a Comment