Deep Album Cuts Vol. 306: Weezer





A few months ago I ranked every Weezer album for Spin, which helped me get the ball rolling on a deep album cuts playlist, and this week I decided to finish that up. 

Weezer deep album cuts (Spotify playlist):

1. Surf Wax America
2. The World Has Turned And Left Me Here
3. My Name Is Jonas
4. No One Else
5. Tired Of Sex
6. Across The Sea
7. Crab
8. O Girlfriend
9. Death And Destruction
10. Burndt Jamb
11. Hold Me
12. Peace
13. The Angel And The One
14. Tripping Down The Freeway
15. Time Flies
16. I've Had It Up To Here
17. L.A. Girlz
18. Mexican Fender
19. Byzantine
20. Numbers
21. She Needs Me
22. What's The Good Of Being Good

Tracks 1, 2 and 3 from Weezer (The Blue Album) (1994)
Tracks 4, 5 and 6 from Pinkerton (1996)
Tracks 7 and 8 from Weezer (The Green Album) (2001)
Tracks 9 and 10 from Maladroit (2002)
Tracks 11 and 12 from Make Believe (2005)
Track 13 from Weezer (The Red Album) (2008)
Track 14 from Raditude (2009)
Track 15 from Hurley (2010)
Track 16 from Everything Will Be Alright In The End (2014)
Track 17 from Weezer (The White Album) (2016)
Track 18 from Pacific Daydream (2017)
Track 19 from Weezer (The Black Album) (2019)
Track 20 from OK Human (2021)
Track 21 from Van Weezer (2021)
Track 22 from SZNZ (2022)

Weezer were always a band that some of my friends liked more than me. For the first few albums I didn't really dig any of their big hits besides "Say It Ain't So," and there were times when I wish some other band like Sloan or Fountains Of Wayne had Weezer's career. But they've really grown on me over the years as I developed more of a sweet tooth for power pop. And I found myself preferring a lot of their less ubiquitous singles like "El Scorcho," "Photograph," "Keep Fishin'," and "Troublemaker," which is really what made it easier for me to get into their albums. 

Of course, like most people, I'll admit that Weezer's first two albums loom pretty large over the rest of their discography. But I find Pinkerton kind of hard to take sometimes and am glad there's only one album like that in their discography, two would be too many. And while some of those later albums can get pretty rough, there's great songs sprinkled throughout pretty much all of them. "Death And Destruction," "Hold Me," "The Angel And The One," "L.A. Girlz," and "Numbers" were songs that all really stuck out to me when I was working on the Spin piece and it was fun to hear them all together here. And it was fun to slip in stylistic outliers like "Time Flies" and "Byzantine" that I think demonstrate that Rivers Cuomo can still be a little adventurous even when he's pursuing this increasingly monochromatic vision of a Beach Boys/Green Day west coast pop/rock ideal.

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment