Deep Album Cuts Vol. 337: The Weeknd


 


















I've always been kind of a Weeknd skeptic, but at this point he's made enough music that I enjoy that I felt like I could put together a playlist ilke this. 

The Weeknd deep album cuts (Spotify playlist):

1. Loft Music
2. High For This
3. Zone (featuring Drake)
4. Life Of The Party
5. Montreal
6. Echoes Of Silence
7. The Town
8. Adaptation
9. Shameless
10. Real Life
11. Losers (featuring Labrinth)
12. All I Know (featuring Future)
13. Stargirl Interlude (featuring Lana Del Rey)
14. I Was Never There (featuring Gesaffelstein)
15. Hardest To Love
16. Until I Bleed Out
17. Scared To Live
18. Best Friends
19. Is There Someone Else?

Tracks 1 and 2 from House of Balloons (2011)
Tracks 3 and 4 from Thursday (2011)
Tracks 5 and 6 from Echoes of Silence (2011)
Tracks 7 and 8 from Kiss Land (2013)
Tracks 9, 10 and 11 from Beauty Behind the Madness (2015)
Tracks 12 and 13 from Starboy (2016)
Track 14 from the My Dear Melancholy EP (2018)
Tracks 15, 16 and 17 from After Hours (2020)
Tracks 18 and 19 from Dawn FM (2022)

When The Weeknd's first three mixtapes took the internet by storm in 2011, it kind of felt to me like it was R&B for people who don't listen to R&B, and I didn't really take it all seriously. By the time Abel Tesfaye decided to drop the 'faceless' schtick and try to be a more conventional star, and actually converted all that blog buzz into actual chart-topping hits over the next four years, though, I started to hear the appeal. 

Even though I like The Weeknd as a pop star more than as a moody "toxic R&B" auteur, I will admit that once you look at his catalog without the big crossover james like "Blinding Lights" and "Can't Feel My Face," there is a continuity to his work, his late period deep cuts don't sound that different from the early mixtapes. Also it's funny that The Weeknd and Jay-Z have traded hairstyles over the last 10 years. 
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment