Mixtape Tuesday

As I mentioned in last week's installment, I've made many tapes for J.G. over the years and have converted her to several artists, but mostly people that are fairly accessible to begin with, like Ted Leo or Brendan Benson or Jeff Buckley. So I was kind of surprised when she asked me recently about what Sonic Youth albums are good and if I could make her a tape or something. They're pretty much my favorite band of all time, but I never really tried to sell her on them, just because they're kind of an acquired taste and a good bit more out there than the aforementioned artists. But she saw something on TV about them, I think a VH1 list show (the only one I've ever seen them on was the greatest hard rock bands of all time), and was intrigued. So I made her a tape:

side 1:
1. Teenage Riot
2. Skip Tracer
3. French Tickler
4. Purr
5. Kool Thing
6. 100%
7. JC
8. Dirty Boots
9. Beauty Lies In The Eye
10. Mote

side 2:
1. Schizophrenia
2. Eric's Trip
3. Sugar Kane
4. Kissability
5. Sunday
6. Bull In The Heather
7. Candle
8. Shadow of a Doubt
9. Genetic
10. Diamond Sea [single edit]
11. Kotton Krown

It was kind of hard to put their catalog in enough perspective to really pick out the right songs. I mean, last summer I went through a phase of making tons of tapes to listen to in the car, and I made 5 themed SY mixes (all of Lee's songs, or all instrumentals, etc., I'll probably post some of those eventually), and a lot of the songs on this tape weren't on any of those 5 tapes. I've never really disliked any of those songs (except "100%", which was the first song I ever heard by them and I always hated it), I just don't feel the need to put, say, "Kool Thing" on a tape for myself. So it was nice to revisit some of the (ahem) hits in order to give J.G. a fitting introduction, along with some of my favorites. It's not a very complete picture, though, obviously; nothing before '86 or after '98 (although I'm a bigger fan of the later stuff than many), and an emphasis on Sister through Dirty. You really can't go wrong with that stuff, at least when you're trying to show how good they can be at being a rock band. The eventual best-of of the DGC years will make a pretty great stocking stuffer.

Labels: ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

I think most of the stuff from Murray Street is very accessible. Leaning heavily on Daydream Nation and Dirty is probably a good idea. I know plenty of people that really loved Dirty but can't stand anything released before or after...
 
teenage riot is totally one of the best 1st songs for a record...

mat
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
oops, messed up that comment. what I was saying:

yeah...I kind of have a pet peeve about starting mixtapes with a song that was already track 1 on an album...but as far as a (somewhat) definitive introductory mix goes, I gotta start one side with "Teenage Riot" and the other with "Schizophrenia".

I like Murray Street a lot, obviously, but I think it's just a little too mellow for a primer. it's more efficient to stick with the Dirty/Daydream jams for this kind of mix.
 
Post a Comment