Mixtape Tuesday

Just to set the precedent that sometimes this space will feature not just tapes I made, but tapes other people made for me, this is one of my favorite mixes I've ever received, from my friend Mat. About 4-5 years ago, we were talking about the fact that we had both recently written papers for school about our respective musical heroes. Mine was Elvis Costello and his was Prince. We were each curious but not particularly familiar with each other's subjects. So we decided to make introductory mixes for each other, I made an EC mix, and this is his Prince mix:

side 1:
1. "Another Lonely Christmas"
2. "Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad?"
3. "When You Were Mine"
4. "I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man" (single edit)
5. "Honky Tonk Woman"
6. "Starfish & Coffee"
7. "Nothing Compares 2 U" (live)
8. "Tambourine"
9. "The Cross"
10. "Shockadelica"
11. "Endorphinmachine"
12. "Feel You Up"

side 2:
1. "Raspberry Beret"
2. "Erotic City"
3. "I Would Die 4 U"
4. "Scarlet Pussy"
5. "7"
6. "Little Red Corvette"
7. "I Feel For You"
8. "She's Always In My Hair"
9. "Irresistible Bitch"
10. "Purple Rain"
11. "Bustin' Loose" (live)

There's some fairly obscure stuff from Mat's vault of bootlegs in there in addition to the hits, like the awesome Stones cover and the live Chuck Brown cover, and side 1 ends with a clip of the audio from Prince's famously awkward interview with Dick Clark on American Bandstand in '79. Mat's birthday was a couple weeks ago, and since he's already read several Prince books, I got him Matos's Sign O' The Times book, and got a copy for myself too, since I've been meaning to pick it up since it came out.

Labels: , ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

I still think Another Lonely Christmas is one of his best songs. Music, Composition, Lyics, Arrangement, Production. It's just killer. Ahhh, the Purple Rain era.

Glad you still clean up the dust from that Maxell XLII...

Part II is to comimg soon to a CD player near you...
 
Post a Comment