Last night there was a standup comedy show at my college featuring a few cast members and regulars from Chappelle's Show. The ticket price was a little steep for a campus event (and I didn't even get the student discount because I've been at this damn school for so long that my student ID is out of date), but I figured what the hell. The theater has maybe 400-500 seats and it was pretty full in there. The MC of the night was Donnell "Ashy Larry" Rawlings. I think his voice and delivery are pretty much inherently funny, but his material was pretty run of the mill blue/politically incorrect stuff that was only occasionally really funny, pretty much Comic View grade stuff. I wonder if he's aware of the fact that he's got a local dance hit in these parts (his catch phrase was sampled for the Baltimore club track "I'm Rich, Bitch" by DJ Technics). The 2nd performer was Marina Franklin, of "nigga you smell like french fries" fame. She had a nice conversational style of comedy, not constant gut busters but a lot of funny personal anecdotes. She's fine, too. The big last set of the night was by Charlie Murphy. He's got a good relaxed storytelling pace, as evidenced by the "true hollywood stories" sketches. At the end he told a good Rick James story, too. Got into some kind of deep stuff, too, sometimes got serious. He talked a lot about how everywhere he goes now people shout "CHARLIEMURPHY!" at him, and about how when people ask him if he gets tired of it, he says "no, because that's my name, so it's better than when I was 'Eddie Murphy's brother' for 16 years".

Labels: ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment