A couple years ago I started getting my hair cut at this old barber shop near my apartment at the time, and I still go to it even though I don't live as close to it anymore. It's near campus so it's not really out of my way. It's staffed by these funny white haired old barbers, they even have one of those red and white barber poles. It's probably the only place in the shopping center it's in where all of the employees and most of the clientele are white. Well, that and the branch of the Baltimore County Police Department that, weirdly, is also in the shopping center, in between the stores and stuff. Seems like a really odd place for that. A lot of the other places are like dollar stores and lake trout (which is a soul food dish that's really popular in Baltimore, there are lake trout places everywhere). Last time I was there for a haircut I saw a guy in the parking lot opening a new CD and realized that there was a music store over on the opposite end of the shopping center that I'd never been to. It's called Planet Replay and it's nothing but used DVDs and video games and CDs. It's awesome. A lot of the CD cases are in too good condition to be actually used, I get the feeling a lot of their stuff comes from cutouts and pressing plant overstock. I don't generally spend a lot of time looking through used bins in the music stores I usually go to, but this place just had so much that I had to pore through it, and everything was so cheap. There's very little rap, I imagine what they do have gets picked over pretty quickly. But there's a wealth of classic rock and 90's alt stuff and random country and pop and soundtracks. I think it's going to become the place for me to satisfy my jones for MOR/dad-rock like Springsteen and Steely Dan and the 3rd Stone Temple Pilots album that I remembered liking a few songs on. I always want more of that kind of thing but usually never get around to picking up stuff like that because I feel like a sucker paying more than 10 bucks for it when there's so much new stuff to hear, but now I can find all of that for sometimes as little as 2 bucks.

Labels:

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment