I just realized that the only thing I even kinda like about "Hollaback Girl" (which to my dismay is the #1 song in the country right now, thanks largely to Billboard now counting iTunes sales towards singles chart placings), the vocal melody in the verses, is pretty much the same as the chorus from Biggie's "Nasty Boy" (although actually it more directly brings to mind one of my favorite Jay-Z songs ever, "Face Off" f/ Sauce Money, which, surprise surprise, jacks the Biggie hook). I kinda doubt it's a coincidence, too; it wouldn't be the first time Pharrell shamelessly repurposed a vocal melody from someone else's song (see also: that Clipse song from last year that Catchdubs outed as biting the melody from fucking Geggy Tah). Seriously, try singing along "this goes out to my Brooklyn crew" etc., along with it.

Labels:

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment