Movie Diary

1) We Jam Econo: The Story of the Minutemen
Last night I drove down to D.C. as soon as I could leave school and met up with my friend Mike, and then walked down to the Black Cat from his house. We were a few minutes late, and the movie had already started and the little downstairs bar where they were screening it was packed. It was kind of crappy conditions, we had to cram ourselves in the back, and there's a big column in the middle of the room, right in our line of vision, so most of the time I could only see about 1/3rd of the screen. I'm still glad I went, though, and I look forward to seeing it again under more ideal conditions. There are many bands I love more than the Minutemen but maybe none that inspire me more and make me more excited about the act of making music. The live footage was amazing, and since the individual songs are so short, they could be incorporated into the movie without threatening to interrupt the narrative. Lots of good interview moments, too, although I sometimes felt like I was waiting through the hyperbolic praise just to get to the personal anecdotes and really interesting stuff. At the end of the screening, a guy, I believe one of the filmmakers, said he want a picture of everyone at the screening to send to Watt, which we all smiled and waved for.

2) The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
I have to admit I was kinda geeked out about seeing this. Growing up I had access to my father's huge personal library of sci-fi books, but of course, the satire stuck with me more than most of the real stuff. I mean, it's probably been at least 10 years since I read any of those books, but the prospect of a movie being made of it and being done well was still pretty exciting to me. J.G.'s also a fan of the books and wants to see it, but it'll be a couple weeks until she graduates and comes home from school for good. So I'll probably see it again with her, but I was impatient and had to see it opening weekend. And it was good. I'd read the name of the director a few times in articles but it wasn't til the opening credits rolled that I realized that it was the same guy who did all those music videos as Hammer & Tongs. I was skeptical of Mos Def's casting from the beginning, mostly because I think he's pretty overrated as a rapper and haven't seen any real evidence of his acting talent either, but ultimately I was rooting for him to be good in it. He was really the weak link of the cast, though, had tons of funny/memorable lines from the book to work with and didn't manage to make the most of any of them. Everyone else was solid, though. Sam Rockwell was good, although I was kind of put off by the fact that he kept doing a slight G. W. Bush impression (because his character is an idiot who became president, GET IT? wink wink). Just kind of a cheap joke, if you ask me. Lots of other things I could say, but mostly I was satisfied as a semi-fanboy and it even did pretty well at the box office, which is nice.

3) Sin City
I heard plenty about how good and cool-looking this was, but not nearly enough about how funny it was. For the first hour or so, I wasn't sure if I was laughing at it or with it, but by about an hour in, it was pretty obviously the latter. Like, the reaction of that guy with the swastika on his forehead to getting impaled? Hilarious. Supposedly that winking comedic element isn't in the comics (excuse me, graphic novels) at all, which is interesting considering the creator was so involved in the movie he got a co-director credit. Did he set out for the adaptation to poke fun at the source material, or did Rodriguez talk him into it, is what I'm wondering, I guess.

4) Dreamcatcher
Saw this on HBO a while back while dogsitting at my dad's house watching sattelite TV all day. I can't remember the last time so little about a movie was given away by the trailers. So much so that it feels like saying really anything about it is a spoiler. But I will say that it was completely ridiculous and shockingly bad. After a certain point, you don't care at all what happens but you just have to keep watching to see what else they have the balls to throw in there. OK, i'll tell you this much: there's an alien that nests inside of people and makes them fart until it escapes out of their butts. And the alien, whose name is Mr. Gray, is repeatedly addressed by a mentally retarded character (played by DONNY WAHLBERG) as "Mr. Gay". I swear I'm not making any of this up.

Labels: , , , ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Yes, but what you did not mention is that Dreamcatcher is, in fact, awesome, and that the scene with Jason Lee in the bathroom is both scary and hilarious. I put it in that category of "Stephen King films so retarded they're good."
 
yeah, I must admit it was kind of enjoyable in its sheer nuttiness. I mean, I could see King making sense of a plot like that over however many hundreds of pages, but their attempt to compress it all into 2 hours was a total trainwreck. I'd definitely be up for watching it again with company and a few beers.
 
Mos Def has been in some pretty good movies... you should see Monster's Ball (not the best ending, but a really good movie) & Bamboozled (totally underrated)... Mat
 
Major trainwreck indeed, but also weirdly unsettling in its examination (or unwitting portrayal) of homophobia? It certainly taps into a place a lot of people don't want to go.
 
homophobia? it's been a few weeks and I was sleepy when I saw it, so I'm not sure I remember whatever you're referring to. unless you mean a former member of NKOTB repeatedly yelling "Mr. Gay!"

Monster's Ball was shit, and MD's part in it was really small and not any kind of showcase for his acting abilities.
 
What do you think of Sin City's treatment of gender? My friend Audra saw the movie and didn't like it nearly as much as I did; she said she was too put off by the recurrent theme of guys rescuing women.
 
I'm not sure; I read a lot about SC's depiction of women only after I saw it, so I wasn't really looking out for it as I watched it. But it seems a little bit like anyone who gets too upset about that should maybe remember that the whole thing is a ridiculous, unrealistic caricature that is based largely on cliches and values from about half a century ago, though. Not that it doesn't deserve addressing, but really if anyone's looking to Sin City for good female role models, they're about as SOL as if they're looking for good male role models.
 
Homophobia meaning more the incredible fear of anything entering one's body through that orifice + the vibe of all the dudes hanging around. Not so much the Mr. Gay thing.
 
ah. but the alien didn't enter through that orifice, did it? IIRC, it was inhaled into the human body, and only exited out the business end. which is why the only associations that occurred to me there were scatological. I think the whole thing's more likely to tap into a fear of diarrhea than anything like homophobia or fear of sodomy.
 
Well Siskel,

You really should check out Bamboozled.
 
I'm pretty sure it enters that way too, at some point, though admittedly you just saw it and it's been a couple of years since I have.
 
Post a Comment