Meet the new boss. Congrats to Jess Harvell, the new music editor for the Baltimore City Paper. I'd been kind of anxiously waiting to see who would get the job ever since it opened up a couple months ago. Tom Breihan was offered the job right after he decided to move to New York, so he turned it down, but put in a word for me even though I hadn't dreamed of applying for it. But they asked me to apply, so I sent in my resume and went in for an interview and all that, more as a chance to meet the people I'd only e-mailed with up until that point than with any real hope of getting the job. I just got out of college, and I've only been writing for money since April when Bret, the previous music editor, asked me to write for CP because of Gov't Names. So I'm not mad at all that I didn't get the job, I know I'm underqualified right now. Mainly I was just concerned with who did get the job, because if the music editor wasn't Bret or Tom, odds are it wouldn't be someone who knew me or my writing as well that I'd be pitching to. So I'm glad that Jess got the job. We've been bitchy to each other ILM from time to time but there's definitely mutual respect there and I wish him the best with the job. And as an out-of-towner, he'll need all the help he can get from local writers for all the Baltimore music coverage that the music section entails, so he's welcome to whatever knowledge I can share. And yeah, before you know it, the CP music section is probably going to be more full of blog/ILM people than, well, the Seattle Weekly.

Labels: , ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment