TV Diary

1. Meerkat Manor
I love Animal Planet for making a completely absurd idea like this into a real TV show. This is the perfect show for someone who constantly watches family pets and wonders what the social significance of all their bizarre actions are. I guess the people who make the show have been observing this meerkat family for years and years, so they know what they're talking about, but sometimes I wonder how much they're just totally making up reasons for behavior or manipulating footage just to keep some semblance of a plot for the show. Either way, it's totally involving drama. As much as I like Sean Astin, though I don't know if he's the best possible narrator for this show. Too often, having Samwise Gamgee describe what's happening kind of makes it seem like a Hobbit story. No, wait, that's totally a good thing.

2. Chappelle's Show: The Lost Episodes
This whole thing kind of has a bad smell to me and I'd almost like to not watch it out of protest, but what the hell, nothing else was on. The one sketch I really liked was the one about posthumous 2Pac songs. Millions of people have made the same jokes before, but the sketch itself did it in a really funny way, Chappelle's Pac voice is hilarious. Still, it makes me kind of uncomfortable to watch the guys who helped Dave make the first 2 seasons kind of turn around and help Comedy Central polish these turds. Even if he handled the whole situation really poorly, I still kind of get the feeling that his heart was in the right place, and he abondoned the show for the right reasons, so I hope the next thing he does justifies all this bullshit and proves that he's not some crazy shut-in now.

3. Rock Legends: Platinum Weird
So, I understand that this is a mockumentary meant to perpetuate a hoax by an actual new band that's pretending to be an old band from the 70's, but it doesn't really work on any level. It's not funny and it's the slightest bit believable. It scans more like an excuse to show off that they've got a lot of really famous friends they can call in to unconvincingly support their bogus origin story.

4. Dane Cook's Tourgasm
Like I said before, this show blows, but I caught this week's episode and they were in Baltimore. I couldn't figure out what college they were performing at (they played a practical joke involving a Terps mascot but I don't they were at College Park), but before the concert they went to Obrycki's, which is a crab house that's like 3 blocks from my apartment. The funny part (aside from them being completely confounded by the whole act of eating crabs like most non-Marylanders) was that they kept making jokes about being in "the hood" as they drove down my street, and I mean, Upper Fells Point is totally not the hood by Baltimore standards.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment