Netflix Diary

1. Saw
I guess I'm kinda late on the one since the 3rd movie in the series just came out, but I never really paid attention enough to hear any spoilers. Pretty good, and I have a tolerance for gore so it didn't seem too over-the-top for me. Kind of refreshing to see Cary Elwes in something other than a wacky Medieval farce for once, too.

2. Princess Mononoke
J.G. liked this a lot, but I just only barely got into it. I've never really had much interest in anime, and I think my inability to connect with even the most acclaimed crossover stuff dubbed in English has pretty much confirmed that I'm never really going to bother with the whole genre, aside from the occasional intentionally funny stuff like Lupin The 3rd. I think while watching this I realized that movies like this, even with voices dubbed by Hollywood actors, are never going to have voice acting as great as what you get on, say, big Disney or Pixar movies, because they've still got to keep up with the speed and rhythm of the original Japanese dialogue, which in general seems to be spoken very quickly, at least in anime or maybe even in general as a language. So the actors never get to really sink their teeth into some quality comic timing or a good emotional reading when the scene calls for it. Gillian Anderson in particulary sounded ridiculously rushed.

3. The Incredibles
Yeah, like I was just saying, as opposed to something like this. I haven't seen all the Pixar flicks and most of them I haven't seen a while but I think in time this could become my favorite.

4. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
I'm a big fan of the 1971 version, and I was kind of dreading this one from the outset and thought the trailers looked terrible. I shouldn't have underestimated Burton & Depp's ability to find the right pitch for their own kind of subtle sense of humor to fit the material, though, I laughed way more than I expected to and it kind of won me over. The first half is way stronger than the end, though.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment