The above, inspired by that disgusting line in "Black Republican," was my idea, but credit goes to amon for making it a reality. That shit totally made my week.

Nas f/ Tre Williams - "Let There Be Light" (mp3)

Like any new Nas album, Hip Hop Is Dead has a lot of oversized hype to overcome or ignore to really enjoy it. And although I kind of enjoyed all the crazy shit on Street's Disciple that made people hate on it, it's kind of nice that, aside from the batshit insane fake gangster accent on "Who Killed It," this one is pretty grounded. "Still Dreaming" is kinda weak but "Let There Be Light" is finally the Nas/Kanye collaboration I've always wanted, that "Poppa Was A Player" and "We Major" weren't, somber despite that great Steve Miller break and completely lyrically focused and an appropriate R&B hook that's not too slick or gratuitous. He's been so low profile, at least in terms of putting out new records, since Late Registration that I kinda forgot that Kanye is one of my favorite producers, but this and the new John Legend single are totally reminding me.

Labels:

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment