TV Diary

1. "Last Comic Standing"
As much of a relief it is during the summer to have little or no primetime appointment TV to keep up with, I do like to have a good summer reality show to follow, and since "On The Lot" isn't it, I'm glad this show is back. They held auditions outside the U.S. for I think the first time, too, in Australia and England and Canada and man, the Australians were hilarious. Much like I was annoyed that Bill Dwyer was a contestant last year, I really hate that Doug Benson is on the show this year. This is a guy that's on "Best Week Ever" all the time and has been featured on Comedy Central. He's probably already more famous than some previous Last Comic Standing winners. So beyond me not thinking he's funny at all, he seems like a spotlight hog and kind of undermines the whole point of the show. But then, I wrote most of this a few weeks ago and haven't caught more recent episodes, so I have no idea who's been eliminated and still on, though. A lot of my early favorites got eliminated really quickly, though, so I'm feeling a little unmotivated to keep up.

2. "Flight Of The Conchords"
I wasn't that big on Tenacious D to begin with, but I don't see why HBO needed another sitcom about a comedic folk-rock comedy duo. I might owe this a couple more chances to grow on me, but man, the ironic falsetto stuff is pretty weak as songs and is only intermittenly funny, and at this point I'd rather watch Married With Children reruns than another single-camera 'comedy of awkwardness' Office-type show. Dear 21st century TV comedy, "uncomfortable silences" are not the only form of humor worth pursuing.

3. "Entourage"
This show is really kinda going down the tubes, isn't it? Season 3 was a slight dip in quality but Season 4 so far has gone down hill pretty quickly. There was one really funny episode this season (the one with the hysterically self-referential M. Night Shyamalan cmaeo), but for the most part it's just been retread after retread. Bringing Billy Walsh back, over and over, and having him bicker with E, over and over, Turtle and Drama constantly throwing parties and searching for drugs and mystical MacGuffins, another episode with Gary Busey, etc. They really need to get some fresh writers in the room and come up with some kind of game-changing plotline, and not just a temporary game-change like Ari being fired for a few episodes.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

"Dear 21st century TV comedy, "uncomfortable silences" are not the only form of humor worth pursuing."

Amen to that, brother and fellow Laurelite.
 
Post a Comment