As you may have heard, Stylus Magazine closed its doors and ceased publishing last week. Likewise, the Singles Jukebox is also dead, and the last songs I blurbed before it shut down (except the Natasha Bedingfield) were all for the Jukebox's coverage of Radio 1’s Established 1967 covers compilation, which was mostly awful:

Robbie Williams - Lola [6/4.5]
Foo Fighters - Band On The Run [5/5.5]
Mika vs. Armand van Helden - Can’t Stand Losing You [3/3.75]
James Morrison - Come Back And Stay [5/4.2]
Stereophonics - You Sexy Thing [2/1.8.]
Groove Armada ft. Alan Donohoe - Crazy For You [3/6]
Klaxons - No Diggity [4/5.75]
The Fray - The Great Beyond [4/3.25.]
Natasha Bedingfield ft. Sean Kingston - Love Like This [5/4.5]

In the 6 months or so that I wrote for the Jukebox, I believe I rated 133 songs, and I think I reviewed almost half as many albums for Stylus in the space of a year and a half. It was a really good site and I'll miss it, although I feel like I wasn't on the best terms with Stylus toward the end, since I stopped writing reviews about a year ago (not because I minded not getting paid for them so much as that I couldn't justify putting time and energy into them instead of the writing I do get paid for), and I misread an e-mail and blabbed about the end of Stylus semi-publicly before anyone outside the organization was supposed to know. But I'm pretty proud of most of the work I did there, and they had a lot of other writers I really respect and enjoy reading, and hopefully they'll all find other outlets for their writing after Stylus if they haven't already. I've heard that the site and its archives will stay up for a while but probably not forever, so in the next few months I'll probably figure out someway to preserve at least the stuff I wrote, possibly on this blog, so that it doesn't disappear off the internet completely at some point a year or two down the road.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment