the first 10 months of 2007

Albums:
1. Sloan - Never Hear The End Of It
2. Prodigy - Return Of The Mac
3. Parts & Labor - Mapmaker
4. Jarvis Cocker - Jarvis
5. UGK - Underground Kingz
6. Eleni Mandell - Miracle Of Five
7. Ted Leo - Living With The Living
8. T-Pain - Epiphany
9. Kenna - Make Sure They See My Face
10. Travis Morrison - All Y’All
11. Paramore - Riot!
12. Dinosaur Jr. - Beyond
13. Kanye West - Graduation
14. Thurston Moore - Trees Outside The Academy
15. Talib Kweli & Madlib - Liberation
16. Swizz Beatz - One Man Band Man
17. Keyshia Cole - Just Like You
18. Trans Am - Sex Change
19. Fall Out Boy - Infinity On High
20. The Nels Cline Singers - Draw Breath
21. Styles P. - The Ghost Sessions
22. Eddie Vedder - Music For The Motion Picture Into The Wild
23. Hurricane Chris - 51/50 Ratchet
24. Consequence - Don’t Quit Your Day Job
25. Enon - Grass Geysers...Carbon Clouds
26. Rich Boy - Rich Boy
27. T.I. - T.I. Vs. T.I.P.
28. Twista - Adrenaline Rush 2007
29. Rasputina - Oh Perilous World
30. Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace
31. Redman - Red Gone Wild: Thee Album
32. R. Kelly - Double Up
33. Kelly Clarkson - My December
34. Rufus Wainwright - Release The Stars
35. Radiohead - In Rainbows
36. Trill Entertainment presents - Survival Of The Fittest
37. Bruce Springsteen - Magic
38. Money Mark - Brand New By Tomorrow
39. Gorilla Zoe - Welcome To The Zoo
40. Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
41. Grand Buffet - The Haunted Fucking Gazebo EP
42. Talib Kweli - Eardrum
43. Fabolous - From Nothin' To Somethin'
44. They Might Be Giants - The Else
45. Kelly Rowland - Ms. Kelly
46. Havoc - The Kush
47. Meat Puppets - Rise To Your Knees
48. DJ Khaled - We The Best
49. Ted Leo - Mo Livin’ EP
50. Nels Cline/Andrea Parkins/Tom Rainey - Downpour

This'll be my last monthly round-up before it gets down to crunch time and I have to start finalizing these for year-end critic polls, so I'm really bearing down and trying to re-evaluate everything. The next couple months are gonna be the usual 4th quarter onslaught of rap releases (Jay, Cass, Free, Pitbull, Fat Joe, Beans, Wu Tang, Saigon, DJ Drama, Wayne), which could completely overhaul my list, or could be kind of a wash like last year's 4th quarter, which looked way better on paper than it ended up being. My top 10 still has a lot of stuff that was already on this list back in March, and I wouldn't mind seeing more of knocked down. It'd be great if everyone who read this left a comment reccomending one 2007 album I should really hear (one that I have a good chance of liking at least a little based on this list, preferably), I could really use some help getting out of my rut of sticking with artists I already know I like.

Singles:
1. Swizz Beatz - “It’s Me Bitches”
2. R. Kelly f/ T.I. and T-Pain - “I’m A Flirt (Remix)”
3. UGK f/ Outkast - “International Player’s Anthem”
4. Keyshia Cole f/ Missy Elliott and Lil Kim - “Let It Go”
5. Paramore - “Misery Business”
6. Playaz Circle f/ Lil Wayne - "Duffle Bag Boy"
7. Kelly Rowland f/ Eve - “Like This”
8. Fantasia - “When I See U”
9. Linkin Park - “Bleed It Out”
10. Kanye West f/ Dwele - "Flashing Lights"
11. Crime Mob - “Circles”
12. Finger Eleven - "Paralyzer"
13. Cassidy f/ Swizz Beatz - “Drink N My 2 Step”
14. T-Pain - "Church"
15. Maroon 5 - “Makes Me Wonder”
16. DJ Khaled f/ Akon, T.I., Rick Ross, Fat Joe, Birdman and Lil Wayne – "We Taking Over"
17. 50 Cent - “I Get Money”
18. Alicia Keys - "Like You'll Never See Me Again"
19. R. Kelly f/ Usher - “Same Girl”
20. Mary J. Blige - "Just Fine"
21. Avril Lavigne - "Hot"
22. Fall Out Boy - “Thnks Fr Th Mmrs”
23. Foo Fighters - “The Pretender”
24. Kanye West f/ T-Pain - “Good Life”
25. Beyonce - “Get Me Bodied”
26. Rich Boy - "Let's Get This Paper"
27. T.I. f/ Wyclef Jean - “You Know What It Is”
28. Hurricane Chris f/ Big Poppa of Ratchet City - "Hand Clap"
29. John Legend - "Another Again"
30. Mike Jones - "Turnin' Headz"
31. Puddle of Mudd - “Famous”
32. Bobby Valentino - "Anonymous"
33. Rihanna - "Don't Stop The Music"
34. Fergie - "Clumsy"
35. DJ Jazzy Jeff f/ Peedi Peedi - "Brand New Funk 2007"
36. Swizz Beatz - “Money In The Bank”
37. The Game f/ Kanye West - “Wouldn’t Get Far”
38. Natasha Bedingfield - “I Wanna Have Your Babies”
39. Wyclef Jean f/ Akon, Lil Wayne and Niia - "The Sweetest Girl"
40. Freeway f/ Jay-Z - "Big Spender"
41. Diddy f/ Keyshia Cole - "Last Night"
42. The White Stripes - "Icky Thump"
43. Mika - “Grace Kelly”
44. Young Jeezy f/ R. Kelly - “Go Getta”
45. DJ Unk - “2 Step”
46. Chamillionaire f/ Slick Rick - "Hip Hop Police"
47. Twista f/ T-Pain - "Creep Fast"
48. Eddie Vedder f/ Corin Tucker - "Hard Sun"
49. Jill Scott - "Hate On Me"
50. T.I. f/ Alfamega and Busta Rhymes - "Hurt"
51. Swizz Beatz - "Take A Picture"
52. My Chemical Romance - “Teenagers”
53. Gym Class Heroes f/ Patrick Stump - “Clothes Off”
54. Common f/ Lily Allen - "Drivin' Me Wild"
55. Birdman f/ Lil Wayne - "Pop Bottles"
56. Gorilla Zoe - "Hood Figga"
57. Bow Wow f/ T Pain - “Outta My System”
58. Trey Songz - "Wonder Woman"
59. Gwen Stefani - "Early Winter"
60. 50 Cent - “Amusement Park”
61. Nicole Sherzinger f/ T.I. - “Whatever You Like”
62. Justin Timberlake - “Until The End Of Time”
63. Beanie Sigel f/ R. Kelly - "All Of The Above"
64. The Fixxers - “Can U Werk Wit Dat?”
65. Fergie f/ Ludacris - “Glamorous”
66. Amerie - “Gotta Work”
67. Chris Brown f/ T-Pain - "Kiss Kiss"
68. N.O.R.E. f/ Swizz Beatz - "Set It Off"
69. Ja Rule f/ Lil Wayne - “Uh Oh”
70. Red Hot Chili Peppers - “Hump De Bump”
71. Common f/ Dwele - “The People”
72. Daughtry f/ Slash - “What I Want”
73. Fall Out Boy - "The Take Over, The Break's Over"
74. Tiffany Evans f/ Ciara - "Promise Ring"
75. Jordin Sparks - “Tattoo”
76. Nelly Furtado - “All Good Things (Come To An End)”
77. Katharine McPhee - "Love Story"
78. Relient K - “Must Have Done Something Good”
79. Muse - “Starlight”
80. Young Jeezy f/ Keyshia Cole - “Dreamin’”
81. Eve - “Tambourine”
82. Fabolous f/ Swizz Beatz - “Return of The Hustle”
83. Rich Boy f/ Polow Da Don and Keri Hilson - “Good Things”
84. Fall Out Boy - “This Ain’t A Scene, It’s An Arms Race”
85. Three 6 Mafia f/ Chamillionaire - “Doe Boy Fresh”
86. Incubus - "Dig"
87. Paul Wall f/ Jermaine Dupri - “I’m Throwed”
88. Papa Roach - “Forever”
89. Dashboard Confessional - “Stolen”
90. Justin Timberlake - “What Goes Around...Comes Around”
91. Audioslave - “Revelations”
92. Saliva - “Ladies & Gentlemen”
93. Kanye West, Rakim, Nas and KRS One - “Classic”
94. Taylor Hicks - “Heaven Knows”
95. Avril Lavigne - “When You’re Gone”
96. Fabolous f/ Young Jeezy - “Diamonds”
97. Prodigy - “Stuck On You”
98. Vanessa Hudgens - “Say OK”
99. Queens of the Stone Age - "Sick Sick Sick"
100. Huey - “Pop, Lock & Drop It”

Not quite as R&B-dominated as my '06 singles list was, but it's getting close. There's still some stuff on the lower half of this that I'm not totally sure I like or just feel pleasantly ambivalent about, hopefully there'll be enough good stuff in the next 2 months to weed those out.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Al, I'd love to hear your thoughts on Rilo Kiley's Under the Blacklight or Against Me!'s New Wave.
 
The lyrics sometimes don't make a hell of a lot of sense, but I think you might like Sondre Lerche's Phantom Punch, much of which is deeply indebted to early period Elvis Costello. Also, I know you're generally against hipstarded bandwagon junk, but Boxer by The National seems like something you might dig if only for the drums. If neither of those work for you, I also recommend Oh, This Old Thing? by Sleeping in the Aviary, which is a great spazzy power pop record.
 
I actually remember getting sent The National's first record back like 7 years ago when I was writing for Pitchfork. Never reviewed it or listened to it a whole lot, but it was good enough that I wasn't surprised that they went onto be fairly successful later. And the phrase "spazzy power pop" is a pretty good way to grab my interest.

I don't think I can handle the Against Me! guy's voice, at all. Always been kind of ambivalent toward Rilo Kiley, I thought the buzz on their new one was pretty negative? Do you like it more than their old stuff?
 
Post a Comment