TV Diary

a) "Unsung"
I was really excited when I saw that TV One would be doing a series about R&B artists who never made it big, or at least not as big as they could've been or somehow had some tragic setback. And I was a little less excited when I realized that it was only a 4-part mini-series, and that two of the episodes centered around fairly well known artists (Donny Hathaway and the Debarge family). But it was still a pretty fascinating little show, not as slick and well put together as it could've been, but the music and the stories kinda sold themselves. I wish there was more stuff like this, a "Behind The Music" about artists who never got big enough to have a "Behind The Music" or a biopic.

b) "The Dish"
It makes me happy that "The Soup" is now popular enough that other networks are asking for their own spinoffs, and so far I like one on the Style channel, which is pretty much the same as the original but girlier (strangely, though, not cattier), more than the "Sports Soup" one on Vs. Part of it is that the host is Danielle Fishel (Topanga from "Boy Meets World"!) has some good comic timing and is still hot. Part of it is that they don't even bother to hunt for a totally different set of clips from "The Soup," just mostly the same stuff with slightly different jokes, and some Style channel stuff mixed in.

c) "Californication"
One of things you do when you splurge on a cable package with premium channels is constantly surf those networks looking for things to watch to justify that additional expense. I keep hearing that Showtime has good shows, and I'm not particularly interested in any of them, but this one seemed like a good place to start since it's like those HBO comedies that show a lot of tits just because they can. But man, this really is dumb as dirt. I mean it makes "Entourage" seem well written by comparison. It seemed decent enough when I'd watch it in short doses while channel surfing, but when I sat down to watch a full episode I think I gave myself a headache by constantly rolling my eyes at the dialogue.

d) "Project Runway"
J.G. always watches this (usually in marathons at the end of the season) but I think was the first time I really watched this for more than a couple minutes at a time, admittedly partly to drool over Kenley. She's still probably more annoying and unlikable than she is hot, though, and a pretty limited designer.

e) "Saturday Night Live"
Y'know, I've never been a big Amy Poehler fan, but I'm gonna miss her on Weekend Update (especially "Really!?! with Seth & Amy"). The show's been pretty good lately, though, Armisen's Obama still sucks but it was better the most recent time he did it. Kenan and Bill Hader are on fire lately. Hugh Laurie was a pretty disappointing host, though, I thought he'd be really funny but he mostly fell flat or played the background more than hosts usually do.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Hugh Laurie would have been a better host IF he had better writers!! SNL would be better too!
 
The writing wasn't the problem, most of the regular cast members were plenty funny last week.
 
Post a Comment