Pearl Jam mix for John
disc 1:

1. Corduroy
2. MFC (mp3)
3. Rearviewmirror
4. In My Tree
5. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
6. Breath (mp3)
7. Brain Of J.
8. Get Right
9. Gods' Dice
10. Blood
11. Not For You
12. Gone
13. Alive (Brendan O'Brien Remix)
14. Dissident
15. Smile
16. Insignificance
17. I Got ID
18. Once (Brendan O'Brien Remix)
19. Last Exit
20. Present Tense

disc 2:
1. Hard To Imagine
2. In Hiding
3. State Of Love And Trust
4. Go
5. Porch
6. Grievance
7. Glorified G
8. Given To Fly
9. Who You Are
10. Animal
11. Do The Evolution
12. Mankind
13. Immortality
14. Leash
15. Satan's Bed
16. Lukin
17. Black, Red, Yellow (mp3)
18. Black (Brendan O'Brien Remix)
19. Red Mosquito
20. Yellow Ledbetter

Last June, my friend Robbie took my wife and I to Pearl Jam's show in D.C. as a wedding present, and we brought along my brother-in-law John. Since John is a little younger than us (Blink 182 was to him at 12 what Pearl was to me at 12), he asked me to make him a Pearl Jam mix after the show, and since I tend to go overboard with these things, I had to make it a double. I hope it wasn't too daunting for him, even listening back to the mixes recently they're just so overstuffed that I'm not sure if I sequenced it well or if Pearl Jam is just a band whose songs are so unrelentingly big and aggressive and emotional that there's no way to do real peaks and valleys and seques like I might ordinarily attempt with a mix (although I did do some goofy theme blocks in disc 2 that you can probably figure out for yourself anyway). But I think I did a decent job of reflecting what I like about the band, mixing some but not all of the hits with a lot of quality deep cuts.

I thought that maybe like the Steely Dan mix I did last year, my song selections would reflect my opinions of the album. And they did, for the most part, except I was surprised to see that I ended up including 8 songs from Vs., more than any other album, when I'd probably tell you that Vitalogy or No Code is my favorite. It makes sense, though, I guess, Vs. is not a great album but has maybe their best run of radio hits and songs that work outside its context. Even though Ten was one of the first albums I ever loved, it's aged really bad for me compared to their other albums, largely because of the production, which is why I used a few of the Brendan O'Brien remixes they included on Rearviewmirror (Greatest Hits 1991-2003), and I'm looking forward to the mix of the whole album he did for the Ten reissue coming out in March. I regret forgetting to put "The Long Road" on here, though.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment