Viewing Diary

a) ”Lost,” Season 2
About a month ago, I had had the DVDs of the first 3 seasons of “Lost” that my brother had sent me for Xmas for just over a week, and had already breezed through the first season. Since then, he sent me season 4 for my birthday to complete the set, and we got all caught up to all the previously aired seasons just about in time for the new episodes (not quite, though – still have to watch the S5 episodes aired so far online before I can start tuning in weekly). The only time I previously attempted to watch the show regularly for a few episodes in S2, but without the context of S1 I didn't totally understand why certain plot points or character moments mattered, and wasn't compelled enough to keep up with it. So it was a trip to re-watch episodes like "Everybody Hates Hugo" or "Collision" and totally get the resonance.

b) ”Lost,” Season 3
As much as I'm kind of excited to finally be caught up and maybe start kind of joining in on the cultish watercooler discussions about current episodes, there is something great about watching this stuff in a relative vacuum. Looking at internet chatter now, I'm not surprised that there was a lot of complaining about S3 (Nikki and Paolo, throwing half the main characters in cages for several episodes), but watching it all in a row almost in the same time frame that the plot was moving throuhg, I never got impatient with the slow pace or the devices that held up developments or revelations. I wish I could've experienced some of the big reveals in real time with everyone else, though, as awesome as all the Benry/Others stuff is I heard enough to see a bit of it coming, or at least know he wasn't who he said he was from the outset.

c) ”Lost,” Season 4
This whole season was pretty awesome and has got me pumped for the new stuff, though. I didn't realize at the time how popular "The Constant" was but I totally understand it, I love the way they've slowly begun to show their hand with some of the more out-there sci-fi elements that were just ever so slightly hinted at in the first season. I'm still now sure how much I do or don't want to read stuff like Lostpedia for theories and speculation about future developments, though; I'd love some reccomendations on where to start, but I almost like the show being self-contained, and having to come up with my own ideas.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

"The Constant" is one of my favorite episodes ever...from Season 4 there's that and the globetrotting-Ben episode that really stood out for me. Michael Emerson was robbed of an Emmy...
 
Post a Comment