TV Diary

a) "Southland"
I wouldn't say I'm jaded about cop shows so much as I'm just kind of disinterested. Maybe it was too many years of my dad taping "Law & Order," I don't know. But all the buzz about this show, and the strong "Homicide: Life On The Streets" vibes I got off it, were encouraging, although the first time I tried to watch an episode, I got bored fast. Then, the last 2 episodes of the (short) season, I got good and hooked, so I might have to catch up on the other ones now. Really I just like the show's use of tense silence, which is in a way more jarring on a network show with commercial breaks than it ever was on "The Wire."

b) "River Monsters"
The first episode I saw of this show on Animal Planet was the one about piranhas, which was pretty cool, just for the way the guy held a duck carcass under the water and showed how fast they took it apart. But I was like OK, they blew their load, they can't have anything remotely as cool for the other episodes, and I was wrong. Dude pulled the biggest catfish I've ever seen out of the water, shit was insane.

c) "Reaper"
I guess it's still not clear if this show is dead or not, but if last night's episode was the finale, they went out with a good dark episode. I really feel like the show's been on a good groove, though, I hope it comes back for a third season. But I'm also not getting my hopes up, given the ads for a new "Melrose Place" that the CW ran last night.

d) "Lost"
I can't wait for the last season to hit DVD, I really need to watch it again. Shit was dense. I'm still a little irked at how much was left unanswered in the finale, but I do appreciated that they folded the new Jacob stuff with enough ambiguity that all the obsessive fans can debate it for the next 9 months.

e) "Jeopardy!"
J.G. watches this show just about every night, and I'm a little less into it. So 7:30 tends to be the time where I go off and check my e-mail or something until the primetime shows start, but sometimes I watch it and play along, although she's much better at it than I am. I really think she could go on the show someday and do well. Trebek is getting a little loopy and silly in his old age, though, which has been making the show more entertaining.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment