Movie Diary

a) Get Smart
I gotta say, the word of mouth on this was pretty unenthusiastic, but I ended up really enjoying it. "Get Smart" was one of my favorites on Nick at Nite when I was a kid and while I would've been fine with more Mel Brooks-style comedy, I didn't mind the direction they went with it at all, definitely one of the funnier movie adaptations of a classic TV show.

b) I Could Never Be Your Woman
Yet another one of those crappy movies Paul Rudd made in between awesome ones, except when I caught a little of this on TV and got sucked into it, it turned out to be pretty decent. Could've been better with someone besides boring Michelle Pfeiffer in the lead role, and without the terrible narrative device involving Tracy Ullman, but otherwise fairly clever and funny.

c) I'm Reed Fish
I should've known better than to try and watch a quirky indie rom-com like this without getting angry, but by the time I had spent some time with it I decided to stick with it all the way to the bullshit ending. And I didn't even realize until the credits rolled that the movie was written by a guy named Reed Fish and is pretty much autobiographical, which makes the totally unlikable and irrational main character even more WTF.

d) Fun WIth Dick And Jane
This was pretty funny, for a latter day Jim Carrey flick. I liked that the whole theme of satirizing Enron-type corporate criminals manifested itself in a way that seemed to come from a really genuine place of anger, the movie would probably resonate with people more if it came out today for that reason. It was co-written by Judd Apatow, but this was a little bit before 'Apatow movies' became kind of a trusted brand in and of itself and, of course, people were good and sick of Jim Carrey by then.

e) Caddyshack
After decades of having this movie quoted to me but not actually ever watching the whole thing, my brother-in-law finally sat me down to watch it while we were on family vacation a couple weeks ago. And it's pretty funny, of course, especially the Rodney Dangerfield stuff, although it's definitely hit and miss, and I think it's more in league with, say, Meatballs than the best of the Ramis/Murray/Doyle-Murray/etc. comedies from that era.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment