2001 Reconsidered

Albums:
1. Ted Leo/Pharmacists - The Tyranny of Distance
2. Jay-Z - The Blueprint
3. The Dismemberment Plan - Change
4. Aaliyah - Aaliyah
5. Chris Lee - Chris Lee Plays & Sings Torch'd Songs, Charivari Hymns & Oriki Blue-Marches
6. Missy Elliott - Miss E...So Addictive
7. Tim Trees – Dalton Vol. 1
8. Ken Stringfellow – Touched
9. Firewater - Psychopharmacology
10. Fugazi - The Argument
11. Usher - 8701
12. Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American
13. The Strokes - Is This It
14. Rufus Wainwright - Poses
15. Death Cab For Cutie - The Photo Album
16. Sparklehorse - It's A Wonderful Life
17. No Doubt - Rock Steady
18. Destroy All Nels Cline - Destroy All Nels Cline
19. Pulp - We Love Life
20. 112 - Part III
21. System Of A Down - Toxicity
22. Rod Lee - Operation: Start-Up
23. Beauty Pill - The Cigarette Girl Of The Future EP
24. Wreckshop - Ack'n A Azz
25. Radiohead - Amnesiac

Album-wise, there's a good chance this is my favorite year of the decade. It was probably also the year I was the least engaged with new music at the time, in that I was a broke jobless college student for much of the year, wasn't doing any writing or blogging anywhere, and I spent a lot of time digging through vinyl crates and finding old unfamiliar stuff, more than other years. And I can't help but wonder if those two things are related, or if maybe since I was 19 it was just the end of my 'innocent' teenage years, although it'd be silly to act like I wasn't an obsessive, analyitical list-making canonizing nerd even well before that. But really I think the point is that I actually heard maybe half of the above albums in 2001, and have really strong memories attached to all of them, and everything else I heard later I ended up being really happy to hear, too.

Singles:
1. Petey Pablo - "Raise Up"
2. Fabolous f/ Nate Dogg - "I Can't Deny It"
3. Jadakiss f/ Styles P. - "We Gonna Make It"
4. Missy Elliott f/ Ludacris - "One Minute Man"
5. Sunshine Anderson - "Heard It All Before"
6. System of a Down - "Chop Suey!"
7. Shaggy f/ Rik Rok - "It Wasn't Me"
8. Joe f/ Mystikal - "Stutter"
9. Limp Bizkit - "My Way"
10. Lil Wayne f/ Birdman, Mickey and Mack 10 - "Shine"
11. Madonna - "Don’t Tell Me"
12. Bubba Sparxxx - "Ugly"
13. Fatlip - Sum 41 - "Fatlip"
14. Missy Elliott - "Get Ur Freak On"
15. Mystikal - "Bouncin' Back (Bumpin' Me Against the Wall)"
16. Trick Daddy - "I'm A Thug"
17. Shyne f/ Barrington Levy - "Bonnie & Shyne"
18. Memphis Bleek f/ Jay-Z - "Do My"
19. Train - "Drops Of Jupiter (Tell Me)"
20. Michael Jackson - "Butterflies"
21. The Strokes - "Hard To Explain"
22. Usher - "U Got It Bad"
23. Tank - "Maybe I Deserve"
24. 112 - "Dance With Me"
25. Lil Mo f/ Fabolous - "Superwoman (Remix)"
26. Fat Joe f/ R. Kelly - "We Thuggin'"
27. Nelly Furtado - "Turn Off The Light"
28. Isley Brothers f/ Ronald Isley - "Contagious"
29. Ginuwine - "There It Is"
30. Beanie Sigel - "Beanie (Mack Bitch)"
31. R. Kelly - "A Woman's Threat"
32. Faith Evans - "You Gets No Love"
33. Jagged Edge f/ Nelly - "Where The Party At?"
34. Jay-Z - "Girls, Girls, Girls"
35. T.I. f/ Beenie Man - "I'm Serious"
36. G. Dep - "Special Delivery"
37. Destiny's Child - "Bootylicious"
38. Ludacris - "Saturday (Oooh! Oooh!)"
39. Coo Coo Cal - "My Projects"
40. Janet Jackson - "Someone To Call My Lover"
41. Nate Dogg, Fabolous, Kurupt and B.R.E.T.T. - "I Got Love (remix)"
42. Green Day - "Waiting"
43. N.E.R.D. f/ Vita and Lee Harvey - "Lapdance"
44. Sugar Ray - "When It's Over"
45. 'N SYNC - "Gone"
46. DMX - "Who We Be"
47. Jimmy Eat World - "Bleed American"
48. Redman f/ Adam F. - "Smash Sumthin’"
49. The Strokes - "Last Nite"
50. 112 - "Peaches And Cream"

This was actually the first year that I ever made a year-end singles list, for some long defunct pre-blog site I had for a while in college. And I didn't even make an albums list that year! I guess I was really pretty popist back then. I rearranged and added a lot of stuff from that original list, but really I had a hard time coming up with a running order because there's so much amazing shit here that I still get happy every time I hear.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment