The 2009 Remix Report Card, Vol. 8

"Download (Remix)" by Lil Kim featuring The-Dream, Soulja Boy Tell 'Em, T-Pain and Charlie Wilson
I kinda feel like The-Dream's solo career wouldn't exist if not for T-Pain, even if their talents and their records are pretty fundamentally different, so it's kinda cool to finally hear them on a track together even kinda sorta just on a remix. Kinda goes without saying, but Soulja Boy's verse is just painful to listen to. I like that kid's production style, but man, I just never want to hear his voice again.
Best Verse: The-Dream
Overall Grade: C-

"I'm Yours (Remix)" by Jason Mraz featuring Lil Wayne and Jah Cure
This remix was produced by one of the Diaz Brothers, who did a bunch of awesome Pitbull songs, so I was kinda hoping this would be some crazy ill-advised Miami bass banger version, but instead it's just emphasizing the reggae groove of the original. Wayne sounding really hoarse and just lazily recycling 50 Cent lines like saying "like a fat kid loves food" is any less unoriginal.
Best Verse: n/a
Overall Grade: C

"I Need A Girl (Remix)" by Trey Songz featuring Fabolous and Teyana Taylor
I shit you not, I had to google Teyana Taylor's name to remind myself that she was, in fact, the girl that did that forgettable-ass almost hit "Google Me." She kinda sings this song well, though, and brings more to it than a zzz Fab verse. I've never sat through this whole song to hear the annoying indulgent runs MMTS does at the end, ugh.
Best Verse: Teyana Taylor
Overall Grade: C+

"Supa Man High (Remix)" by R. Kelly featuring Gucci Mane and OJ Da Juiceman
I hope every song with OJ on it is eventually upgraded to include a verse from Gucci.
Best Verse: Gucci Mane
Overall Grade: B-

"That's Not My Name (Remix)" by The Ting Tings featuring Wale
I didn't think it'd be possible for Wale to keep worse company than Lady Gaga, but there it is. The way he does a little call-and-response with the chorus is just sad, dude should just keep his head down and do enough to get a check.
Best Verse: n/a
Overall Grade: D

"Trouble (Remix)" by Ginuwine featuring Hurricane Chris, Gucci Mane, and OJ Da Juiceman
This is the 'down south' remix, for some reason there's also an official St. Louis remix with Chingy and Jibbs, but I'm going to assume that you give even less of a fuck about that than I do. I kinda dig this song, it's not great but fun to hear Ginuwine do something kinda modern and still sound at home and not like it's a big stretch for him. The beat suits the guests pretty well, too.
Best Verse: Gucci Mane
Overall Grade: B+

"Wasted (Remix)" by Gucci Mane featuring OJ Da Juiceman
I hope every song with Gucci on it isn't eventually downgraded to include a verse from OJ. It's not like Plies is that great, but in my opinion it's some serious industry bullshit to take him off a song that he had a good verse on once it started to become a hit and put Gucci's awful protege on it. Last week I heard a DJ on one of the D.C. stations play this version, and when the OJ verse started he rapped along to Plies version out of habit, took him a few bars to realize what was going on.
Best Verse: n/a
Overall Grade: F
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

you're really otm about "wasted" - that plies verse was really dope imo & the oj verse is esp wack. i can't remember if i said this on ilx or not but plies' verse on that song was almost perfect in how slurred and... wasted it sounded. they're fucking up if they're really gonna start pushing the oj version.

need to hear that "superman high" rmx - always thought that it was a bit weird that gucci had uncredited ad-libs (iirc) in that song.
 
I may have been imagine a Gucci verse on "Supaman High" since I thought I heard it on the radio but couldn't find it online when I was doing this post.
 
Post a Comment