2013 Remix Report Card, Vol. 2






















"Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe (Remix)" by Kendrick Lamar featuring Jay-Z
The thing that's interesting about this to me is how it in many ways poorly fits the event remix format -- Kendrick is one of the first major stars to come along in hip-hop in a long time who didn't get, seek out or particularly need a Jay co-sign, which has nonetheless come along surprisingly late in the hype cycle when you think about it. But more than that, he's a rare new star whose musical DNA contains little to no Jay, lyrically or production-wise, which shows in how awkwardly Jay sounds here, even by latter day awkward Jay standards. It's also just kind of a weird song to bestow this prestige remix upon -- sure it fits better than "Swimming Pools" or "Poetic Justice," and this is after all the biggest deep cut/potential single. Still, the bars Kendrick piggybacks onto Jay's verse are easily some of my favorite shit he's ever done, much better than any of his verses on the original cut. "Trick, Don't Kill My Vibe" radio edit is just sad, though.
Best Verse: Kendrick Lamar's 2nd verse
Overall Grade: B+

"Cruise (Remix)" by Florida Georgia Line featuring Nelly
A couple years ago I dropped the ball on covering the Jason Aldean/Ludacris remix in this space, so NEVER AGAIN! I listen to country radio here and there, but not quite enough to be familiar with every big hit, so I didn't even know this one too well and man is it lousy. I was never mad at the Nelly/Tim McGraw record, though, so I'll give old Cornell the benefit of the doubt. And I mean, this is an improvement, it works. I may soon regret praising this, though, since it just entered the top 10 of the Hot 100.
Best Verse: n/a
Overall Grade: B-

"Hello Love (Remix)" by T.Rone featuring Juicy J, Jim Jones, Fat Joe and Raheem DeVaughn
I love this song that's been buzzing for a minute, and I figured at some point a rapper or two would jump on it. But it's a little funny that the first thing that happened after Cash Money scooped up T.Rone is that a remix dropped with nobody from YMCMB and a bunch of old dudes who are, Juicy J aside, not really popping at all at the moment.
Best Verse: Juicy J
Overall Grade: C-

"How Many Drinks? (Remix)" by Miguel featuring Kendrick Lamar
This is great synergy, both in terms of two guys from L.A. who made huge critical and commercial splashes on their genres last year, and in terms of this being the Miguel song best suited for Kendrick to jump on. But I dunno, it falls pretty flat for me, in part by fulfilling my expectations right down to the "Swimming Pools" references. Conventional wisdom would be that Miguel's little "that ass is colossal" rap is dragging down the song, and Jordan Sargent accurately predicted that this song would be more radio-friendly with a big name guest rapper dropped into that slot of the song. But I honestly miss that section, and the way it leads into the melodic bridge and ad libs that make the last chorus soar.
Best Verse: n/a
Overall Grade: C

"I Been On (H-Town Remix)" by Beyonce featuring Bun B, Z-Ro, Scarface, Willie D, Slim Thug and Lil Keke
I kinda wrinkled my nose as "Bow Down/I Been On" when I first processed it as an another annoying aggressive trend-jocking Beyonce single in the vein of "Run The World" or "Diva," but the contrast between the two halves of the song works for me and the vocal performance has its moments. Still, isolating the lesser half for a remix that plays up the somewhat forced Houston reminisces was a move I was not necessarily on board with. Like the selection of Texas MCs she got, though, good that it's Slim Thug as the token Swishahouse-era dude instead of a bunch of guys from his generation and a token '90s cat. Also dig the way Beyonce's 'appearance' on the remix is to take her screwed vocals from the original back up to normal pitch.
Best Verse: Scarface
Overall Grade: B

"M.I.A. (Remix)" by Omarion featuring Rick Ross, Rockie Fresh and French Montana
The original is kinda dope, think it should've been a bigger hit than it was, and it should be easy to do a MMG posse cut remix full of better verses than Wale on the original, but this falls pretty flat. Not in any mood to hear a Ross verse about sex ever, but especially now after the date rape line. French is a fucking mess, though, I still have no idea how that dude got on.
Best Verse: Rockie Fresh
Overall Grade: D

"My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Remix)" by Fall Out Boy featuring 2 Chainz
Obviously this is not nearly as much of a surprise as 2 Chainz starring in the video for the original version of the single that it almost feels kind of perfunctory and expected, especially given the run of rapper collaborations Fall Out Boy had back in 2007-'08. The fact that they went back and changed up the beat with some trap hi-hats to make it fit him better is kinda cool, but the verse is whatever.
Best Verse: n/a
Overall Grade: C+

"News For You (Remix)" by Eric Benet featuring 2 Chainz
Actually a more hilarious combination of artists than Tity with Fall Out Boy, and also ends up sounding a lot better. The original Benet track was some dope smooth shit with Frankie Beverly guitars, the remix is only slightly more 'urban' with a nice sample of Lenny Kravitz's "It Ain't Over Til It's Over," and 2 Chainz comes with this sly, almost old school flow while still bringing his weird reckless energy.
Best Verse: n/a
Overall Grade: B+

"Pour It Up (Remix)" by Rihanna featuring Young Jeezy, Rick Ross, Juicy J and T.I.
Given how much "Pour It Up" is thought of as a "Bandz A Make Her Dance" retread, I figured Juicy's verse would be the most unnecessary, but instead he just proves once again how great he sounds on these kinds of tracks while finding a more novel flow to approach it with than anyone else.
Best Verse: Juicy J
Overall Grade: B-

"R.I.P. (Remix)" by Young Jeezy featuring YG, Kendrick Lamar and Chris Brown
Since Jeezy's appearance on E-40's "Function" remix was really the first time he'd been on any kind of West coast post-hyphy beat like that and directly presaged "R.I.P." it makes sense that he'd make a remix to the latter featuring YG, who was on the original "Function," and Chris Brown, who was on the remix with Jeezy, as well as another Cali rapper. Generally though this track has just made a bunch of headlines for Brown's gay-baiting Drake diss, not for otherwise just having 3 actual rappers kick dope verses on it. Given how ill-suited Kendrick often seems to club bangers like "Fuckin' Problems," it's good to hear him just rip into a beat like this and sound comfortable. YG's Too $hort impression is fun too.
Best Verse: Kendrick Lamar
Overall Grade: B

"R.I.P. (G-Mix)" by Young Jeezy featuring Snoop Dogg, Too $hort and E-40
Really irritates me that a week or two after the first remix, Jeezy dropped this one, so I felt obligated to go in and add this to the post I'd already drafted. The multiple remix craze is outta control. He really shoulda just had everybody from both remixes minus Chris Brown on one track and kept it all Cali. Obviously, I already outlined E-40's role in this song existing, and he sounds great on this track.
Best Verse: E-40
Overall Grade: B

"Yes (Remix)" by Q Parker featuring LL Cool J and Raheem DeVaughn
I always dug Q's voice in 112 and appreciated that he was kinda the group's secret weapon on the writing/production side, so I always root for dude to do something on a solo tip. This song has never really done anything for me, the chorus is like an even dumber version of The-Dream's "Falsetto." Corny ol' LL is kind of the perfect look for this, though, I love that his first line on this is "your body needs a remix."
Best Verse: LL Cool J
Overall Grade: B
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment