TV Diary























a) "Defiance"
I always try to give new SyFy shows a shot, because some of them are pretty enjoyable, if not especially well crafted. But I shoulda known better about this one based on a video game, and the 2 hour pilot sapped me of any motivation to watch any further.

b) "How To Live With Your Parents (For The Rest Of Your Life)"
Jesus, what a long title. Theoretically, the premise has mileage, and Sarah Chalke and Brad Garrett are solid leads for a sitcom (despite it being kinda distracting how close they are in age to play father and daughter), but this was pretty dull.

c) "The Real Husbands of Hollywood"
This may not be as good as "Burning Love" at taking aim at a subgenre of reality show that's ripe (perhaps overripe) for satire and just hitting all the marks perfectly. But it does take the format as a good jumping off point for being just fun and ridiculous. Robin Thicke, as ever, makes a hilarious token white guy, this time on purpose.

d) "Happy Endings"
It's bumming me out that they're dumping episodes of this two at a time on Fridays and it looks really likely for cancellation, hoping it gets another chance on cable if ABC does get rid of it. Because fuck, this show just keeps getting funnier and funnier, like even Zachary Knighton and Elisha Cuthbert are hysterical now, which I never expected.

e) "The Voice"
I haven't been following the show very closely this year, because really I just don't think I have it in me to follow these singing shows closely anymore, especially now that it's clear "The Voice" will never launch a major recording artist. But what I have seen has made me really feel like the change up in mentors has been good for the show, Xtina was always the most boring of the bunch and Cee-Lo the most obnoxiously hammy, and Shakira and Usher both seem more relaxed and genuine so far. And I mean, Shakira just lights up a room, it's nice to have her on TV every week.

f) "Shameless"
Third season was really good, kinda felt like the first time that I don't feel too much like the show is a guilty pleasure. Honestly the characterization and writing has always been solid, and the cast fantastic, it's just hard to handle how unabashedly ridiculous and trashy the show sometimes gets. I still get disappointed with the roles William H. Macy and Joan Cusack have been saddled with, but Emmy Rossum and the younger kids are all great.

g) "Parenthood"
Another, albeit completely different kind of show about family that I've had something of a love/hate relationship that I am feeling really good about as of its latest season. In fact, I was kind of disappointed by how early in the year NBC wrapped up this season, but I liked where they left the storylines, for once it didn't feel like they were rushing to resolve things for the finale or set up obvious new directions.

h) "Best Week Ever"
It's weird to have this show back on the air, after a few years of identify crisis with the Paul F. Tompkins iteration and then indefinite hiatus. But it's also, like, the same show as ever, even with different comics, and I don't mind the new set of faces, there's some funny people. Still kind of a ridiculous excuse for a show, but what the hell, I enjoy it.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment