Deep Album Cuts Vol. 412: En Vogue

 







En Vogue are my 21st favorite singles act of the 1990s, and the only artist in the top 40 of that list that I hadn't done a deep cuts playlist for yet, so I thought I'd take a look at their catalog. 
 
En Vogue deep album cuts (Spotify playlist):

1. Luv Lines
2. Waitin' On You
3. Time Goes On
4. Just Can't Stay Away
5. Desire
6. This Is Your Life
7. Hip Hop Lover
8. It Ain't Over Till The Fat Lady Sings
9. Hooked On Your Love
10. Right Direction
11. Damn I Wanna Be Your Lover
12. You're All I Need
13. Does Anybody Hear Me
14. Number One Man
15. Beat of Love
16. Snowy Nights
17. Oceans Deep
18. Blue Skies

Tracks 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 from Born to Sing (1990)
Tracks 6, 7, 8, and 9 from Funky Divas (1992)
Tracks 10, 11, 12, and 13 from EV3 (1997)
Tracks 14 and 15 from Masterpiece Theatre (2000)
Track 16 from The Gift of Christmas (2002)
Tracks 17 and 18 from Electric Cafe (2018)

My family got a cable package with MTV around the time Funky Divas came out, so I started becoming a pop music obsessive in an era when Terry Ellis, Cindy Herron, Maxine Jones, and Dawn Robinson were four of the most beautiful and talented women in heavy rotation on the channel, and they made an enormous impression on me as a 10 or 11-year-old boy. 

En Vogue didn't really get to enjoy their run at the top as much as they should have. By the time they finally followed up Funky Divas five years later, Robinson had gone solo, signing to Dr. Dre's Aftermath Records. Her vocals are still on the group's third album, but the title EV3 and the cover photo of the three remaining members made it clear she was no longer a member. Robinson had the biggest and most distinctive voice in En Vogue, and she went on to make one successful album with the supergroup Lucy Pearl. But she was one of too many acts that languished on the Aftermath roster for years and eventually released an album on another label. Robinson reunited with En Vogue a handful of times between 2005 and 2019 without appearing on the group's later albums (although she was on the Stevie Wonder/Prince/En Vogue joint "So What The Fuss"). And last year Robinson went viral for sharing that she's been living out of her car, which is a pretty sad state of affairs, I hope she's doing better now. 

Maxine Jones has also left En Vogue a couple times, Amanda Cole is on The Gift of Christmas and Rhona Bennett is on Electric Cafe (the title track of which is not, I must point out, a Kraftwerk cover). But honestly, all the past and present members of En Vogue are great singers and their catalog is pretty consistent despite the linup changes, they've had the same songwriting/production core team of Denzil Foster and Thomas McElroy for their whole run. I could only cover 6 of En Vogue's 7 albums because 2004's Soul Flower isn't on streaming services, unfortunately. 
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment