My Top 100 Singles of 1967
Here's the Spotify playlist of all 100 songs:
1. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - "Purple
Haze"
2. Otis Redding - "Try A Little
Tenderness"
3. Aretha Franklin - "Respect"
4. The Spencer Davis Group - "Gimme Some
Lovin'"
5. The Doors - "Break On Through (To The
Other Side)"
6. Lalo Schifrin – “Theme from ‘Mission:
Impossible’”
7. The Who - "I Can See For Miles"
8. The Beatles - "Strawberry Fields
Forever"
9. Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - "Ain't
No Mountain High Enough"
10. Jackie Wilson - "(Your Love Keeps
Lifting Me) Higher And Higher"
11. Buffalo Springfield - "For What It's
Worth"
12. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - "The Wind
Cries Mary"
13. Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - "I
Second That Emotion"
14. The Rolling Stones - "Let's Spend The Night
Together"
15. Aretha Franklin - "(You Make Me Feel Like)
A Natural Woman"
16. The Kinks - "Waterloo Sunset"
17. James Brown - "Cold Sweat"
18. The Box Tops - "The Letter"
19. The Four Tops – “Standing in the Shadows of Love”
20. Jefferson Airplane - "Somebody To
Love"
21. The Bee Gees – “To Love Somebody”
22. Van Morrison - "Brown Eyed Girl"
23. The Turtles - "Happy Together"
24. Louis Armstrong - "What A Wonderful
World"
25. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - "Burning of
the Midnight Lamp"
26. Frank Sinatra & Nancy Sinatra -
"Somethin' Stupid"
27. Johnny Cash & June Carter – “Jackson”
28. Sonny & Cher - "The Beat Goes On"
29. Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell – “If This World
Were Mine”
30. Otis Redding & Carla Thomas – “Tramp”
31. The Beatles – “Hello Goodbye”
32. Tommy James and the Shondells - "I Think
We're Alone Now"
33. Jefferson Airplane - "White Rabbit"
34. James Brown – “I Can’t Stand Myself (When You
Touch Me)”
35. The Doors - "Light My Fire"
36. The Monkees – “(I’m Not Your) Steppin’ Stone”
37. Bobbie Gentry - "Ode To Billie Joe"
38. The Impressions – “We’re a Winner”
39. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - "Manic
Depression"
40. Procol Harum - "A Whiter Shade Of
Pale"
41. Neil Diamond - "Girl, You'll Be A Woman
Soon"
42. The Beatles - "I Am The Walrus"
43. The Bee Gees – “New York Mining Disaster 1941”
42. James Brown – “Bring It Up”
44. The Who - "Pictures Of Lily"
45. Aretha Franklin - "Chain Of Fools"
46. The Rolling Stones - "She's A Rainbow"
47. Arthur Conley - "Sweet Soul Music"
48. The Cannonball Adderley Quintet – “Mercy, Mercy,
Mercy!”
49. Small Faces – “Tin Soldier”
50. The Monkees - "Daydream Believer"
51. Pink Floyd – “See Emily Play”
52. Glen Campbell – “By the Time I Get to Phoenix”
53. The Easybeats – “Friday On My Mind”
54. Frank Sinatra – “This Town”
55. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - "Hey
Joe"
56. Stevie Wonder - "Hey Love"
57. The Beatles – “All You Need is Love”
58. James Brown – “Get It Together”
59. Aretha Franklin – “Baby I Love You”
60. The Beach Boys – “Darlin’”
61. The Lovin’ Spoonful – “Darling Be Home Soon”
62. Otis Redding – “Shake”
63. The Four Tops – “7-Rooms of Gloom”
64. Sly & The Family Stone - "Dance To The
Music"
65. The Association – “Never My Love”
66. Simon & Garfunkel - "At The Zoo"
67. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - "Foxey
Lady"
68. Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell – “Your Precious
Love”
69. The Beatles - "Penny Lane"
70. Nina Simone - “I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel
To Be Free”
71. James Brown – “Let Yourself Go”
72. Dave Davies / The Kinks - "Death Of A
Clown"
73. George Jones – “If My Heart Had Windows”
74. Small Faces – “Itchycoo Park”
75. Otis Redding – “Glory of Love”
76. Dolly Parton – “Dumb Blonde”
77. Bob Dylan - "Leopard-Skin Pill-Box
Hat"
78. The Four Tops – “Bernadette”
79. Aretha Franklin - "Do Right Woman - Do
Right Man"
80. James Brown – “Kansas City”
81. The Beach Boys – “Heroes and Villains”
82. Stevie Wonder - "I Was Made To Love
Her"
83. Tim Buckley – “Once I Was”
84. The Doors - "Love Me Two Times"
85. Otis Redding – “I Love You More Than Words Can
Say”
86. The Rolling Stones - "Ruby Tuesday"
87. Buffalo Springfield – “Bluebird”
88. The Isley Brothers – “Got To Have You Back”
89. Harpers Bizarre – “The 59th Street
Bridge Song (Feelin’ Groovy)”
90. The Velvet Underground – “Sunday Morning”
92. Aretha Franklin - "I Never Loved A Man (The
Way I Love You)"
93. Dionne Warwick - "I Say A Little
Prayer"
94. Osborne Brothers – “Rocky Top”
95. The Box Tops – “Neon Rainbow”
96. Leonard Cohen – “Suzanne”
97. Al Green – “Back Up Train”
98. Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band – “Electricity”
99. The Doors - "People Are Strange"
100. Cream - "Strange Brew"
Obviously we're all well aware of the 'Summer of Love' narrative and all the cliches of '60s pop. And while I think 1968 overall had better albums than 1967, the hits of '67 are really insane. Motown and the British Invasion were still riding high, and you were also getting Stax and the L.A. and San Francisco scenes on the rise, Aretha Franklin and Jimi Hendrix went supernova, I mean, goddamn.
Previously:

Post a Comment