Monthly Report: July 2026 Albums
1. Nia Archives - Emotional Junglist
Jungle/drum'n'bass was my favorite style of electronic music back in that initial American mainstream embrace of electronic music in the late '90s and early 2000s. And while I dug albums by Plug and Squarepusher and Roni Size, it really excited me to see artists from other genres incorporate those jagged, jittery d'n'b rhythms into vocal-driven songs, the things that Bjork and Nine Inch Nails and Soul Coughing and the Roots and Outkast and David Bowie did with jungle beats was so cool to me. And incorporating drum'n'bass production into melodic songwriting has had a nice resurgence in recent years with British women like PinkPantheress and Kenya Grace and Nia Archives, whose aptly titled new album Emotional Junglist goes all in on introspective songs over slamming jungle breaks. "There Goes Ma Head" and "Get Me Down" are so good and so exactly what I hoped for when I saw the album's title. Here's my 2026 albums Spotify playlist that I'm constantly updating with new releases.
2. Charli XCX - Music, Fashion, Film
The cover of Music, Fashion, Film flexes Charli XCX's taste and clout with a cover photo featuring three legendary old white dudes from each of the three titular mediums: John Cale, Marc Jacobs, and Martin Scorsese (David Cronenberg is also the album's only feature, with a spoken cameo on the closing track). If that seems vaguely self-important, though, the lyric that the album title is taken from, on the single "SS26," instead evokes a fragile feeling a lot of us get these days, looking at bleak headlines about world politics or climate change when you've devoted a lot of your life to art and creativity, and the things that usually matter to you about can feel so useless and trivial: "We're walking on a runway that goes straight to hell/ Nothing's gonna save us, not music, fashion, or film." So far I like Music, Fashion, Film's four advance singles more than any other songs (although "Persona" is growing on me). But I like those four songs more than the whole of Charli's celebrated 2024 album Brat, which I liked but maybe never quite loved. As I suspected, the lead single "Rock Music" wasn't really a sincere indication of the musical direction of the album, but I like the way she incorporated more guitars into the glitchy hyperpop aesthetic, and her husband, a member of a chart-topping rock band, didn't even have anything to do with the album.
3. Parts & Labor - Set of All Sets
The New York trio Parts & Labor had a killer run of records from 2006 to 2011, making massively loud, catchy noise rock anthems on three albums with Christopher Weingarten on drums and then two with Joe Wong on drums. Each member of the band has done lots of cool stuff outside the band, particularly those drummers -- Wong scored TV shows and interviewed drummers on his podcast The Trap Set, and Weingarten is a prolific and accomplished music critic that I can call a friend and peer (he's also one of my most argumentative peers, but a genuinely sweet and talented guy). So I was pretty elated by the news this year that Parts & Labor was coming back this year, this time as a quartet with Weingarten and Wong bringing double drummer chaos for the first time. The 79-minute Set of All Sets is appropriately by far the band's longest album, and very maximalist at times, but they use that larger canvas in part to alternate more peaks and valleys, patiently building up to the big crescendos to great effect. On early listens my favorite tracks are "Haunted Limbs" and "Better Run."
4. Brian Ennals & Blockhead - Boatshoes
I don't mind being ahead of the curve, I was telling people that Brian Ennals was dope 16 or 17 years ago, and a growing number of people all over the place know how good he is now. After breaking through on his albums with Infinity Knives, Ennals is now branching out and working with other people, including NY indie rap veteran Blockhead on Boatshoes. And his dark sense of humor just gets sharper with every release, the way he can rap about addiction and parenthood and far left politics while throwing in clever internal rhymes and pop culture punchlines is really compelling. Blockhead's a good foil for him, too, I particularly like the jazz sample stuff like "Bareback."
5. Future - The Real Me
Future has the kind of longevity that's both an asset and a liability in rap. It's incredible how long he's been operating near his peak musically, really most of his 16-year career. But with that kind of Rolling Stones-like consistency, people might think they've already heard everything there is to hear from Future, which is fair to some extent, because he never reinvents himself, but his ability to keep writing great Future songs is impressive. There are some fun experiments on The Real Me like "Hollywood" and Alice" but they're closer to novelties than innovations -- appropriately, if you map his career over the Stones', he's roughly in the year of "Emotional Rescue," not "Miss You." The Real Me is solid, though, some of my favorites so far are "Trench Coat," the Glen Campbell string loop on "Weight Up," and Future bringing back the hilarious flow from 2018's "King's Dead" on "2018."
6. The Rolling Stones - Foreign Tongues
Speaking of the Stones! I like this one a little more than Hackney Diamonds, "In the Stars" is easily the best Stones single in decades and "Never Wanna Lose You" is even better, and those are the kind of modest milestones that can feel like miracles when a band's been going for 6 years straight. I think Andrew Watt does a better job of recording the band than Mick's vocals, though, he could stand to improve on that front.
7. Madonna - Confessions II
Madonna is someone else whose only competition at this point is her own back catalog. I always cast a suspicious eye at artists making a sequel to one of their more beloved albums, but I guess she had to give you part 2 of her Confessions, and in a way this album feels much more personal and autobiographical than the original Confessions on a Dancefloor, all the songs that touch on her club kid past and articulate how she views her career and dance music itself. I wish "Danceteria" didn't sound like the "American Idol" theme song, though, that's the song everybody likes that I don't think really works, I prefer "Bizarre" and "My Sins Are My Savior." It's hilarious that Madonna does so much speak-singing on this album and finally dropped the British accent to the point that people don't recognize her speaking voice anymore, but she still kind of sings Britishly.
8. Ariana Grande - Petal
The Ariana Grande discourse is very intense these days, people seem to be in agreement that she's startlingly thin, and while some are more firmly stating that she's in grave danger, she talks past them with lyrics about people who "hate to see women endure" and giving statements about making decisions "from a thoughtful and empowered place." It reminds me a little of the strangest and most contentious chapters of Michael Jackson's or Britney Spears' careers. And I'd like to say that someday we'll look back on this time when we have more answers and agree about what was going on, but we're all still arguing about Michael and Britney too. So you can't really talk about Petal as just music, there's a lot going on in and around it, but I do like it from a musical standpoint. The talk of it being an "experimental" album is a little exaggerated, it's very much an Ariana Grande album in this very specific vocal and aesthetic space she's cultivated over the years. But I do like the modest outliers, "Oh Well" could be one of those jungle/garage-y PinkPantheress tracks, and "Bad Thing (Bunny Hop)" is the closest she's come to an Olivia Rodrigo-style pop/rock banger.
9. Willow - The Thread
Willow Smith produced and played almost everything on the album she released in February, Petal Black Rock, which really impressed me. The Thread is a bit more like her other recent albums, with Chris Greatti co-producing and playing a lot of the instruments. But I still think she's really just growing musically in some remarkable ways, making these twitchy, intricate jazz fusion songs like "Tall Baby," which is in the time signature I am famously obsessed with, 5/4. The Thread's songs are also a bit more fleshed out and expansive, it has two fewer tracks than Petal Black Rock but is ten minutes longer.
10. Allison Russell - In the Hour of Chaos
A couple months ago in this space, I raved about Jobi Riccio's album and the experience of working on a John Prine tribute concert that she was part of, and in July two more performers from that event released records I really enjoyed, Allison Russell's third album and Margo Price's protest music mixtape Days of Unrest. I'd seen Russell live before, opening for Hozier, but my memory of the Prine tribute is that she radiated this positive energy, even when she wasn't performing, I didn't meet her but she just seemed. She performed the then-unreleased song "Really Real" with I'm With Her singing backup, but on In the Hour of Chaos the other vocalist is Norah Jones (I'm With Her's Sara Watkins is on another track, "Chaos Theory"). In fact all but one song on the album has a guest vocalist, I guess it's a collaboration project, but they're original songs that Russell wrote with the same people she wrote her other albums with. I also really like "Black Lavender" with Baltimore's own Brittany Spencer, who I interviewed once.
The Worst Album of the Month: The Strokes - Reality Awaits
The Strokes made two great albums with a particular sound, and it was certainly a derivative sound with influences that were easy to spot. But in the ways that matter, it was their sound, they owned it and knew what to do with it. There's nothing wrong with a perfecting an aesthetic and then moving on, but it's good to know where you're going next, but it was clear from their 3rd album's lead single "Juicebox" that were just taking that leap without knowing where they'd land, and they're still flailing and falling 20 years later. Julian Casablancas's affection for AutoTune has attracted the most criticism on Reality Awaits, but the other four guys deserve plenty of the blame for these inert first draft arrangements and lifeless performances that no longer the sound like the work of alluringly aloof cool kids. "Going to Babble On" and "Going Shopping" are decent but wouldn't be highlights on a good record. I think people have overcorrected a little on dismissing Rick Rubin's work as a producer because he's absolutely helped some artists make their best albums when he clicks with them, but he doesn't have that chemistry with the Strokes.

Post a Comment