Last night I went to Frazier's to see my friend Mat's new band, Communist Bakesale. It's funny, we've been friends for years and years now, and have always had a lot of common ground based on the fact that we're both drummers, but I've never really seen him play drums before. A saw a few shows by his last band, the Silver Sessions, but he didn't play drums in that, and we've done a lot of studio work together, but that was basically him producing my stuff. So it was nice to finally see him and his bad-ass little kit from the corner of the studio in action. He just joined his neighbor Eric's band a couple months ago, and they've changed their name and kind of started fresh with the new lineup, I think this was their 2nd show. They've got kind of a jam band thing going on (I think there was even a Dead cover), but it was good varied stuff, sometimes it reminded me of mid-80's era Meat Puppets.

Most of the people in the place were sitting, but there was this one middle-aged guy who kept coming right up in front of the stage and dancing in this really weird way. The only way I can really describe it is the way toddlers dance, where they don't really move their legs but just kind of bend their knees and bob their upper body up and down with their arms out. It was very strange. At one point this older guy got up and started dancing to, and they did this bizarre dance together where they were both gripping each other's right arm while kind of pulling away from and rotating around each other. A couple times I thought they were going to stumble and fall right on me. Situations like that are very awkward because it's so ridiculous, but you kind of have to hold back from laughing right then and there because it would be in poor taste.

They did 2 sets, but had to cut the 2nd short because Mat was I guess a little dehydrated and sleep-deprived and was getting worn out. It's been a rough week for him, he just had a death in the family. But he was a trooper and still played a good show, they probably played about 2 hours of music by that point anyway. I'd never seen a show at Frazier's before, but I'd been there for their karaoke night once or twice, which is a pretty lively affair. The singer for my band likes to go down there a lot and belt it out.

Labels: ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

It's Hampden, dude. You can laugh.
 
Good you held back as the man was blind.

Thanks for coming out Al.

Mat
 
you mean the older guy, right? I wasn't really laughing at him, I was more laughing at the younger guy, which I was worried would be in poor taste because he was acting so strangely all night I had no idea what his deal was.
 
Post a Comment