For a long time I've tried to figure out whether there's some kind of formula from which my relative interest in each season of The Real World can be determined. Past pet theories have included that the more I dislike the cast, the more I'm compelled to watch. But there have been too many exceptions for that to hold as a rule, especially this season. The Philadelphia cast is both highly unlikeable and highly unwatchable. There are plenty of seasons I never saw much because I didn't have regular access to cable at the time, but Philly is pretty much the worst one I've ever watched with any regularity, and it seems like it's the worst by everyone else's standards, too. I've never gotten into Road Rules or any of the RW/RR challenges, but the current Battle of the Sexes has sucked me in a little, mainly because it's a head-on collision of some of the most unlikeable cast members ever. And I'm all for a strong woman and all, but most of the girls on there are just psycho hosebeasts. When I do find myself watching it, it's usually just to take some pleasure in the failure of someone I can't stand like "The Miz". Seriously, fuck the Miz. I've never watched The O.C., but I've been getting into Laguna Beach: The Real O.C., which I figure has got to be more of a guilty pleasure simply because the girls on there really are that young.

I'm kind of fascinated with how different cable networks change their focus and horn in on each other's territory. VH1 started stealing the E! channel's steez with all the Robin Leach-style celeb lifestyle obsessing, and now E!'s doing a bunch of VH1 style list shows, except they can't afford to show the footage from all the movie moments and stuff they're always talking about, and their talking heads are even worse than the ones VH1's got. They've even brought back Talk Soup, now as just The Soup, with a more general pop culture focus, clearly trying to keep up with Best Week Ever. It's kind of amazing how Soup still has the same style of humor and writing that it did all those years ago through all those different hosts. And even though it's not top notch, it's still way funnier than the shit the C-list goons on BWE pull out of their asses. E!'s got the last laugh on Comedy Central, though, getting all those SNL reruns while CC is stuck with fucking Mad TV. To quote Rjyan Kidwell: "Mad TV on cable 2-3x a day makes me believe in a hell."

Also, I'll go on the record as not getting Arrested Development. Of all the "smart" shows that people always root for to win Emmys and get a shot at more than one season to find an audience, why did this have to be the one to actually accomplish that?

Labels:

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment