I guess it's been on newsstands for a while now, but I'm always behind on reading my mailing lists so I just found out that Nels Cline is on the cover of the March issue of Guitar Player magazine. Which is crazy. I love that dude. I mean, I could see him being on the cover of The Wire or something, but Guitar Player? That's nuts. I guess it shouldn't come as such a surprise with his heightened profile after joining Wilco, but for some reason this is more surreal to me than all the other stuff it's brought in the past year, like Nels playing at Madison Square Garden and on Letterman and the SpongeBob movie soundtrack. More power to him, though. I'm kind of uneasy about the idea of feeling obligated to buy the next Wilco album, but it sounds like a mutually beneficial partnership and I have no problem with anything that involves one of my musical heroes getting some overdue recognition and financial stability. The article is pretty good, too (and the online version features mp3's of 2 of my favorite songs on The Giant Pin).

Labels:

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

i like how the article called Wilco a

'“traditional” rock' band

love it,
mat
 
well, I think that's a little more accurate than most of the press they've gotten for their last couple albums about how they're SO WEIRD and OUT THERE.
 
hehe. Wilco got me damnit. I sorta was avoiding it for a while. I can identify with the aversion to *needing* to buy their next album though lol. Pop success as well as Critical acclaim gives me sorta a queesy feeling in my stomach sometimes that averts me away from stuff. I usually end up getting into it way after the buzz has died down... I do say I get caught every so often though .. everybody does...
 
^^^^^ -mike forgot to name myself
 
I don't really have too much of an aversion to their popularity or acclaim, I like plenty of bands who have been in their position, but most of what I've heard by them has left me cold.
 
Post a Comment