Pazz!! (also: Jop)

I used to get pretty annoyed when Anthony would dismiss Kanye on the trivial basis of the weak, bloodless way he says "c'mon" on one of his singles. Then I realized the other day that I've dismissed Franz Ferdinand on the very same grounds. But then, of all the things that Kanye has been inaccurately praised or marketed as, "sexy dance party!" is not one of them. That song is like a real time progression of corny indie taste: Strokesy chug, then wait, it slows down to a sluggish bomp-bomp-bomp that I guess is somebody's idea of disco. Oh well, at least someone Kanye has already publically endorsed won something that could've gone to him so another outburst is unlikely. Ah, who am I kidding, does anyone who's up for a gazillion Grammys care about P&J?

Check out these numbers:

2004 Albums 10 Danger Mouse The Grey Album www.djdangermouse.com 904(82)

2003 Albums 13 Jay-Z The Black Album Roc-A-Fella 618(62)

Also, for good measure, and because I like "Faint/Jigga What" more than anything on The Grey Album:

2004 Albums 856 Jay-Z and Linkin ParkĀ  Collision Course Warner Bros. 13(1)

Not that I'm crying for Jay; he's made plenty better albums than BA that've gotten much less critical love. But maaan. I caught some flak on ILM for (somewhat jokingly) making a remark along the lines that I hate the internet for the role it played in the high placement of The Grey Album and M.I.A./Diplo. I mean, I guess I'm in favor of the power of the web and blogs and stuff to put mp3/bootleg phenomena on that kind of pedestal in theory, but I'm not a fan of it in practice if it means color-coded novelty 'mashups' and weak-voiced faux dancehall over played out Timbaland/Neptunes beats and obscure/exotic dance music from Brazil and, um, Baltimore. And can we dead all the "world music" chatter when we're talking about someone who's lived most of their life in London and is tight with fucking Elastica?

Something else of note was that even in a banner year for southern rap on national radio (well, '03 was the real breakthrough, but '04 was the saturation point), the dubious "crunk'n'b" offshoot showed it up both commercially and critically, with both "Yeah!" and "Goodies" in the top 40 singles with the otherwise highest southern hip hop being "Rubber Band Man" down at 47. And the rest of the top 40 rap singles entries were being held down by non-southerners (the obvious Kanye/Twista/Eminem/Snoop) and especially the NYC old guard of Jay/Nas/Fab/Fat Joe/Jada. Granted, my taste is still fairly NY-centric too as far as rap is concerned, but that's just me, I'm an east coast kid. The zeitgeist is another story.

Labels: , , ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

haha. it's like how a dog hears words that aren't "food" or "sit" as static! seriously, though, you don't have to torture yourself by trying to read it if it doesn't interest you.
 
it has nothing to do with interest.

you know i thrive on learning about styles of music i know little about...
 
oh yeah, and just because i dont like it doesnt mean i dont learn about it... ;)
 
yeah, I know what you mean. besides, sometimes reading you site looks like:

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH TRANS AM BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH ENO BLAH BLAH BLAH METRO BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH DC BLAH BLAH PRINCE BLAH BLAH ZAPPA BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH TORTOISE BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH DISCHORD BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

it's cool, though..we all have our obsessions :)
 
hahahaah, dischord is all mike

thrill jockey is more me ;)
 
i'm such a late comer to Dischord though ;) ... mat's the DC boy.

-mike
 
there are so many winky smilies in these comments it's disgusting... ;)
 
i like a lot of dischord bands, but not the majority... there are a lot of bands i just dont get... the ethic of the label is another story... and the idea of documenting a city is just primo to me... always wished trans am would put out a record with dischord... it would make things complete
 
Al, my God, I never realized you were such a talented blogger! Very entertaining. I even learned what your screen name means! I had been meaning to ask you that. I've been seeing those links up for years now and never clicked on them...but now, I will allot exactly 14 minutes of my daily "sitting bored at my computer" time to reading it.
 
haha, is that Chris Merriam? hey man.
 
Post a Comment