Kinda digging the new NIN single "The Hand That Feeds". Of course, it honors the tradition of bad Reznor angst poetry (bite the hand that feeds, something til it bleeds, something on your knees etc), and is even worse in combination with the album title With Teeth (which I thought was a cool title at first, but c'mon, bite the hand that feeds WITH TEETH?). But it also reminds me that for me what always set dude apart from the dozen clones that invaded alt-rock radio in the mid-90's was that he wasn't just setting distorted guitars to industrial drums; the other guys got down the heaviness, but he's the one who had the skronk. He just has a great ear for weird bendy noise. And the bridge-y part on the new song sports some beautiful skronky guitar (synth?) textures. Of course, I've only heard it coming out of the little boombox at work from across the room, so time will tell if I actually like it beyond that awesome bridge. Also, heard "Hurt" the other day, which was kind of nice and refreshing since I've scarcely heard it the past couple years and almost forgot that I think it's ten times better than the Cash version.

Labels:

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

took me a listen or two before i really dug the new single honestly. I'm really wanting to hear the whole album.

Yeah i had the same feeling about the "bite the hand that feeds" "with teeth" connnection thing being almost cheesy ;).

-mike
 
Post a Comment