Narrowcast Loves CMT

Hot Apple Pie - "Hillbillies"
This seems predistined to be a hit right out of the box like "Redneck Woman", although I'm not sure how much I like it yet. You know what I mean, though? It's like those "you know you ghetto" songs that are big every couple years, except now it's white people learning to reclaim terms of self-loathing with a prideful anthem. Or maybe I'm giving this song too much credit, it's a bit sillier and more nonsensical than "Redneck Woman", but you know what I mean. I honestly didn't realize until seeing the video for the 3rd or 4th time that it's a shot-for-shot remake/homage/parody/whatever of "Drop It Like It's Hot". I mean, it just looked like a black & white performance video until I realized all the details are the same. Except they didn't do the part at the end where Snoop pulls up his pant leg and shows you his sock. And as far as I'm concerned that's the most important part.

SheDaisy - "Don't Worry 'Bout A Thing"
This has to be the first time a band has sung about finding its own CDs in the bargain bin. I respect that kind of self-awareness.

Cowboy Troy - "I Play Chicken With The Train"
I'm actually kind of impressed with his flow on this, it's nothing special but way better than that blocky slow 'old school' type rapping he does on that Big & Rich song. That white kid named Chance that was on Muzik Mafia TV is still way better though. CT's definitely wise to do a single with B&R on the hook and go straight for the country audience instead of even trying to go for the hip hop audience. I mean, country is definitely more open-minded to that kind of crossover these days, who would've predicted a year ago that Nelly would be in heavy rotation on CMT?

Jo Dee Messina - "My Give A Damn's Busted"
There's something about post-Shania country with sassy spoken bits over the music that's like nails on a chalkboard to me, and it feels both like she takes a decent song concept and goes nowhere with it, and like it could've been phrased better (although I'm not sure how; 'I'm all out of damns to give' maybe?). And those pants in the video, ugh. There is one lyric I love, though ("You can crawl back home, say you were wrong/stand out in the yard and cry all night long/go ahead and water the lawn").

Labels: , ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment