Narrowcast loves MTV Espanol

Inspector - "Ska Voovee Boobie Baby"
This is possibly the greatest ska song I've ever heard, simply because the title is "Ska Voovee Boobie Baby". In the video, a pretty lady dresses and undresses and showers while a tiny ska band, who are all about 6 inches tall, serenade her throughout her apartment, standing in her medicine cabinet, on the soapdish in her shower, and so on.

Ricky Martin f/ Debbie Nova and Fat Joe - "Que Mas Da"
The Espanol version of "I Don't Care", which still sucks, but the lyrics at least sound a little less awkward in a foreign tongue. Amerie's part is replaced by some other girl singing it in Spanish, but then Fat Joe's verse in English is completely unchanged. Weird.

Thalia - "Amar Sin Ser Amada"
I've watched this video a hundred times and I'm still not sure if I even like the song.

Plastillina Mosh - "Mr. P Mosh"
Some kind of Mexican equivalent to Beck that got some college radio hype in the mid-90's with an album produced by the Dust Brothers. And for some reason, MTV Espanol is still playing their video from '96. I'm wondering if it was actually huge in Latin America and has some kind of modern classic status, or if noone actually likes it but they don't have many videos so they keep playing it. This is really some bullshit, though, just a couple of smirking dumbasses lazily lip syncing while a lady in a revealing dress with a totally creepy old-looking face dances between them.

Adassa f/ Pitbull - "Kamasutra"
Pitbull seems to be on constant rotation on MTVE, between this and "Toma" and the Ying Yang Twins' amazing "Shake" and the remix to Voltio's "Bumper" (maybe the only one of the 8 million reggaeton songs in rotation that I actually like). I like this one, Pitbull doing those ridiculous triplet cadences over the Coolie Dance riddim.

Labels: ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Wow! Getting all diverse here! Go Al!

Have you listened to El Zol? Totally kicks what HFS used to do...

I love it...

Mat
 
Can't say I have much. Like I said, I can only handle so much reggaeton, and I already live in a Hispanic neighborhood.
 
If you like Bossa Nova check out some Astrud Gilberto. The old Verve stuff is great. -Mat
 
Uh, yeah, nothing I'm talking about here is Bossa Nova. A common language is about the only link.
 
Post a Comment