2Pac f/ the Outlawz - "Pain" (mp3)
I was never that into Pac, although I heard a lot of his hits while he was still alive, and he definitely seemed more famous at the time than Biggie. But since they died, Biggie probably gets played 10x as much on the radio stations I listen to, and I dunno, it just took me a lot longer to come around to accepting Pac as one of the greats, East coast bias and all that bullshit. Last year I had Ethan make me a Pac mix CD, but still the only stuff I have besides that is All Eyez On Me. This track kinda snuck up on me, after I heard the beat used on a track by a Baltimore rapper, Bossman, and loved the beat so much that I posted it on Gov't Names, trying to find out where it's originally from. And one of my awesome readers hooked me up with the original, apparently only ever released on the cassette version of the Above The Rim soundtrack (and also remade by Ja Rule on Pain Is Love). The crazy thing about the Bossman version is it turns out that he just looped the first few bars before all the drums kick in, so his track has more of an odd low energy feel to it, but the original is great on its own, maybe one of my favorite 2Pac tracks now, and there's a sample from Star Trek V at the beginning.

Labels: , , ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment