Dem Franchize Boyz f/ Bun B - "My Music" (mp3)
"I keep white, keep purp, like a crayon box." The only song on the Franchize album produced by JD (even kinda has the same wobbly synth groove that was the only thing I really liked about "Grillz") and the best song on the album that hasn't been a single, which probably means it's a future single (but still not as good as Ray Cash's "Bumpin' My Music"). My review ran in the City Paper this week. And with all due respect to my wise and powerful editor, I have to say I just about did a full-body wince when I saw that 2 references to minimalism had been added to my draft that'd originally included none. Maybe one of these days I'll rant about how I take issue with the M-word being tossed at hip hop beats (particularly all that crisp Southern 808 stuff) anytime they don't have the ambient hiss of a dusty sample or a ton of Dr. Dre/Irv Gotti windchimes and wooshing atmospherics slapped on top, when usually the word doesn't really fit at all, in my opinion. Oh, I guess I just did.

Also in CP, I finally review a good movie, Inside Man.

Labels: , , ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment