mix for John, October 2007

1. Thin Lizzy - "Cowboy Song" (mp3)
2. Dropkick Murphys - "I'm Shipping Up To Boston"
3. Dinosaur Jr. - "Can't We Move This" (mp3)
4. The Pretenders - "The Wait" (mp3)
5. They Might Be Giants - "Ana Ng"
6. Polaris - "Hey Sandy"
7. Steely Dan - "My Old School"
8. Foo Fighters - "Summer's End"
9. Sloan - "G Turns To D"
10. Ruth Ruth - "Jerome"
11. Morningwood - "Easy" (mp3)
12. Spymob - "2040"
13. The Raconteurs - "Intimate Secretary"
14. Television - "Marquee Moon"
15. Faraquet - "Sea Song"
16. The Posies - "Open Every Window"
17. Ted Leo/Pharmacists - "Six Months In A Leaky Boat" (Sharkbite Sessions version)
18. Queen - "Liar" (mp3)

This is the third mix I've made for J.G.'s younger brother John, after one last year and a double disc Sonic Youth primer a few months ago. She said he was gonna be stopping by while home for Fall beak from college, and I realized I had half a playlist of a mix I wanted to do for him and decided to finish it while he was here. John's a guitarist, so I always try to turn him onto some of my favorite guitar rock stuff (like holy shit, "Marquee Moon"), he said he wouldn't mind some hip hop stuff but I think I'll have to do that as its own mix sometime.

I've been going through a big Thin Lizzy phase lately, and "Cowboy Song" is easily my favorite right now. John said that he'd been getting into Dinosaur Jr. and mentioned a song from 1996's Hand It Over, which I've always thought was great and underrated, so I picked a favorite from that one. I also remember John once remarking that he couldn't believe there was a band called Morningwood, so I dug out the one really good song from their album (I really wanted to like the record, partly because of just how critically reviled it was, but that is pretty much the only keeper). "My Old School" namedrops John's school, William & Mary. And "Liar" would have to be my favorite Queen song not counting the big hits, John's a Meat Loaf fan so he should appreciate it in all it's over-the-top 6-minute glory.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

I'm not sure why I've never read your terrific blog! My apologies. I'm gonna link to you -- and I'll forget what you wrote about that Springfield number.
 
Thanks! But uh...Springfield? You mean Springsteen or am I forgetting something?
 
Freudian slip. Guess who I'm listening to more often these days...
 
Rick Springfield? "Do The Bartman"? I'm still at a loss.
 
Post a Comment