Monthly Report: June Singles

1. Black Eyed Peas - "I Gotta Feeling"
It's kind of weird to have Eminem and the Black Eyed Peas as the biggest selling rap releases of the year, it's like we're back in 2004 all over again. I wasn't too surprised about BEP coming back big, especially after the Fergie Revolution (as it will be known my future generations), but really "Boom Boom Pow" was some flaccid faux-energetic bullshit. This song, however, is a summer jam par excellence, and I was so powerless to resist it that I ended up playing it like 4 times the first night I heard it, which almost never happens with me.

2. Mariah Carey - "Obsessed"
This is another one that seems like it should be so stupid and charmless on paper, but the beat and all the funny little vocal hooks just steamroll over any kind of rationalization I could every try to come up with to say this isn't great.

3. Jesse McCartney - "How Do You Sleep?"
I guess technically the single version features Ludacris, but his verse really doesn't add anything to this. Anyway this kid's becoming a pretty consistent singles artist, "She's No You" was straight up classic and this is maybe the 4th or 5th good one since then.

4. Demi Lovato - "Here We Go Again"
All three singles from Demi Lovato's first album were really good, and I kept meaning to feature them in this space in previous months, but they kept coming and going in such quick succession that I never did, and now less than a year later another album and single are here. I don't know if I like this one as much as "La La Land" or "Don't Forget" yet, but if it grows on me as quickly as her songs usually do, I will soon enough. I guess it's all too easy to chalk it up to the fact that she listens to metal, but for whatever reason Lovato's doing chick rock better than any of her past or present Disney Channel peers, and it helps that she doesn't sing in a little girl chirp like most of them (or an annoying country-Alanis yarl like Miley).

5. The Alchemist f/ Maxwell and Twista - "Smile"
I love weird collabos like this that feature 3 people who do pretty different things really well, and somehow come together and make it all mesh, and incidentally in this case it's 3 people I like who are all dropping albums in July that I'm really looking forward to. This isn't quite as great as the first Alc/Twista collaboration from a mixtape last year, but it's still pretty good.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment