These are the songs that my band (Zuul) covered at our last 2 shows:

Tomoyasu Hotei - "Battle Without Honor Or Humanity"
Since our show 2 Fridays ago was Halloween weekend, we all wore costumes onstage (actually we wear costumes onstage all the time). Our singer wanted to be The Bride from Kill Bill, he had the yellow jumpsuit and a blonde wig and everything, so the rest of us wore suits and Zorro masks so that we were Crazy 88's. We tried to learn 2 or 3 different songs from the KB soundtrack but this was the only one that stuck and we opened our set with it. It was also used in one of the Team America trailers. I think it really helps give even the non-animated parts of KB Vol. 1 an anime feel, it totally reminds me of the music in what little anime I've ever watched (mostly Lupin The 3rd). I think it actually got more recognition and audience reaction when we played it at the other show without the costumes.

Enrique Iglesias f/ Kelis - "Not In Love" (remix)
Apparently this was a single off his last album and there was a video and everything, but I'd never heard of it until our singer played it for us. It's not Neptunes, although it kinda sounds like "Like I Love You", same kinda start/stop acoustic strum. The Kelis verse is maybe the hottest she's ever sounded. We've done plenty of weird covers but usually we make them all fast and heavy but we play this one pretty straight. It sounds totally fucked up in the middle of our set. But the other guys all wimped out at the last minute and pulled it out of the setlist. But then we ended up playing it for our soundcheck (with most of the audience in the room already), which was really awkward and not nearly as fun out of the context of the set.

Wendy Carlos and Rachel Elkind - "The Shining (Main Title)"
More soundtrack fun! This is the music that plays over the opening credits of the Kubrick flick. Long spooky whole notes, but of course we sludge it up and make it super heavy. They've been playing it since way before I was in the band, we open sets with it a lot.

Nerf Herder - "Buffy The Vampire Slayer Theme"
I've never really watched Buffy, so I didn't know this (none of these covers were my idea). But this is really fun to play, especially toward the end of a set, fast and simple and exactly 60 seconds long. Since there's nothing for our singer to do except the 4 synth notes at the beginning, he likes to yell the names of characters on the show over the song ("Buffy, Buffy, Buffy! Spike, Willow, Angel!").

We've done a lot of other weird/silly covers, like "Rebel Yell" and Christina Aguilera (both "Beautiful" and "Fighter"). I used to be really uptight about covers, I'd protest when whatever band I was playing in wanted to do any, especially silly/ironic covers, and someday when I have 'my own' band, I'll probably never do covers. But for the purposes of this band, I don't really give a fuck, I'm up for anything.

Labels:

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Wendy Carlos is awesome...

mat
 
Post a Comment