Out of curiosity, can anyone tell me who does the covers I'm hearing on rock radio lately of Phil Collins' "In The Air Tonight" and Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Simple Man"? The latter mainly so I know whose name to mutter under my breath as I shake my fist and curse whoever totally butchered the one Skynyrd song I really liked. And the former because in retrospect I'm surprised noone ever thought of a hard rock version of "In The Air Tonight" before, it translates pretty well.

Also, I'm usually pretty wary and dismissive towards indie-ish stuff that comes out of nowhere and suddenly gets rotation on MTV. Not so much because I have any hangups about cred or selling out but because it's either from a subset of indie I don't usually dig and/or stuff that to my ears doesn't have any serious crossover potential. It just seems like they've been putting too much indie/emo stuff into the buzz bin lately that isn't really set to blow, they're just grasping at straws. That said, I'm really enjoying "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)" by My Chemical Romance, who I'd never really heard before. Fast and energetic and big-sounding, hook filled chorus, with over the top screamy performance by a singer with some crazy goth eyeliner, and an entertaining video that pulls off the teen-sex-movie-trailer concept pretty well. I don't know if I'd buy the record, but that's a hot single.

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Coincidentally I was deciding which tracks to keep from the MCR album right as I read this. It's not a crucial purchase for the emoid-unfriendly and nothing bangs out like the single but it's a solid album for its genre (so yeah don't get it). I like this song title: "You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison."
 
i am pretty sure godheadsilo did a hard rock cover of "in the air tonight" at one point. i doubt it's the version you're hearing though.
 
I'm pretty sure the Postal Service has a cover of "In the Air Tonight" out now. That might be what you're hearing.
 
Post a Comment