Over the weekend, my friends Mat and Emily hyphenated their last names, and J.G. and I went down to the Eastern shore of the Chesapeake Bay to witness the event. Aside from the days of constant rain (I read in the paper this morning that it set a new 2-day record for rainfall in the region), and getting a little lost on the way, it was a great weekend. They've both got extensive graphic design experience and different creative outlets, so everything from the invites to the programs looked great and original. Whenever I get married, I'm definitely going to take some cues from them.

Mat put a lot of thought into the music too, from a great reception playlist to hiring his friend Mark de Gli Antoni as musical accompaniment for the ceremony. Mark is best known as a member of Soul Coughing, a 90's alt-rock band who history will, I suspect, not treat kindly, but he did some amazing work in that band playing a keyboard sampler in a live band environment back when that was still kind of a novel idea. And his 1999 solo album Horse Tricks is a really underrated piece of work. Mat's label has been sitting on the rights to release Mark's next album, most of which features 3/4ths of Soul Coughing doing more weird Horse Tricks-type stuff, for a while now, and it too is great and I hope someday soon it sees the light of day. I also hope that when Mat gets back from his honeymoon, he'll finish rebuilding his home studio so we can finish recording my solo album that we started recording at his old house 2 years ago, and that at some point I'll have the honor of officially being labelmates with Mr. de Gli Antoni.

Labels: ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment