Top 100 Singles of 2005, part 2 of 4



51. Black Rob - "Ready"

Like every rap song with children singing and every rap song with millitary snares thrown in a blender with Pharrell's egg timer bit from "Drop It Like It's Hot".



52. Will Smith - "Switch"

I love Kwame.



53. Pitbull f/ Lil Jon - "Toma"

A little behind his collabs w/ Twista and the Ying Yang Twins for my favorite Pitbull track of the year, but still pretty good.



54. Fat Joe - "So Much More"

Love that synth whine.



55. Trick Daddy f/ Cee-Lo and Lil Kim - "Sugar"

Kim fits in there much better than the Luda-by-numbers verse on the album version.



56. U2 - "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own"

"With Or Without You" is my favorite U2 song, I always like the slow ones best.



57. 112 - "U Already Know"

Q's voice is the bomb.



58. Bow Wow f/ J-Kwon - "Fresh Azimiz"

J-Kwon's voice sounds way better on the hook, I wish they let him do a verse.



59. Paul Wall f/ Big Pokey - "Sittin' Sidewayz"

It kind of pains me to put Paul Wall on this list twice, because I don't really give a shit about the dude, but this song might have my favorite snare drum sound of the year.



60. Bloodhound Gang - "Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo"

I think I like their faux indie rock better than their faux synth pop or faux rap metal.



61. Shakira - "Don't Bother"

I'll be FOINE I'll be FOINE I'll be FOINE.



62. Omarion - "Touch"

Although I still hate hate hate almost everything else Pharrell did this year, this one gradually grew on me big time.



63. Boyz N Da Hood - "Dem Boyz"

I still can't get over those rattling triplet beats that keep cropping up every few measures.



64. Nivea f/ Lil Jon and the Youngbloodz - "Okay"

I love how the jolly, innocent veneer of the song isn't even broken in the 2nd verse where she says stuff like "your hands all on my boobs, two stepping in my coochie".



65. B.G. f/ Homebwoi - "Where Da At"

If his other 3 entries further up on this list don't make it clear, I love Mr. Collipark.



66. Black Eyed Peas - "My Humps"

I think that my absolute repulsion with BEP topped off with "Don't Phunk With My Heart" instead of with this like for a lot of people. It's kind of fun.



67. Gwen Stefani - "Cool"

No Doubt always average at least one single per album that I loved, and this is the one from her solo shit, also the only one that doesn't have any annoying cheerleader shit or dancehall jacks or stale Neptunes beats or Harajuku girls.



68. Lyfe Jennings f/ Fantasia - "Hypothetically"

This song hit me like a ton of bricks the other day when I really listened to it closely for the first time so I switched out another song for it.



69. U2 - "City Of Blinding Lights"

I like the stately retro U2 of Atomic Bomb's later singles much more than the forced rawk schtick of the first two.



70. Ludacris - "#1 Spot"

Terrible, terrible idea, but incredibly committed execution.



71. Foo Fighters - "Best Of You"

Dave's over-reaching metal voice works surprisingly well on the mid-tempo stuff.



72. Big & Rich - "The Big Time"

This feels...jaunty.



73. Papa Roach - "Scars"

Nu-metal power ballad yada yada yada, but I love the drums on the verses.



74. Kelly Clarkson - "Behind These Hazel Eyes"

I don't like it that much when it's on, but it really gets stuck in my head, and sounds better there somehow.



75. Backstreet Boys - "I Just Want You To Know"

Ultimately, "Incomplete" was just too Coldplay for me, but this was fun. The video definitely helped.

Labels: , , ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

That Shakira video is awesome... We kept seeing it on this German MTV-type channel. She's kind of amazing. -Mat
 
Post a Comment