Producer Series Mix #6: Carl "Chucky" Thompson

1. Nas - "One Mic"
2. Nas - "Getting Married" (mp3)
3. Notorious B.I.G. - "Big Poppa"
4. Notorious B.I.G. f/ Eminem - "Dead Wrong"
5. Shyne f/ Barrington Levy - "Bonnie & Shyne"
6. G. Dep - "The Ride" (mp3)
7. Shawnna - "Can't Do It Like Me"
8. Ice Cube f/ Chris Rock - "You Ain't Gotta Lie (Ta Kick it)" (mp3)
9. Biz Markie - "Party To The Break-A-Day"
10. Lil Mo - "Dem Boyz" (mp3)
11. Lil Mo - "Shoulda Known"
12. Shareefa - "No One Said" (mp3)
13. Shareefa - "Fevah (He Don't Know)"
14. SWV - "Don't Waste Your Time"
15. Faith Evans - "Mesmerized"
16. Faith Evans - "You Used To Love Me"
17. Mary J. Blige - "Mary Jane (All Night Long)"
18. Mary J. Blige - "I Love You" (mp3)

Chucky Thompson from Washington, D.C. was one of Puffy's right hand men and a member of Bad Boy's legendary Hitmen production team in the 90's, but I don't know if he really gets enough props relative to the number of absolute classics he's responsible for. I kinda structured this mix as hip hop in the first half, and R&B in the second half, since his resume is crazy in either genre. I think he's got a little bit of a background in Go-Go, like his protege Rich Harrison, who's kind of outshined him in recent years, but Thompson hasn't really put too much Go-Go-style bombast into his beats, aside from "Dem Boyz," which was a huge record in Baltimore last year (Mullyman did a track over the beat, and K.W. Griff did a club mix of it). It was supposed to be the lead single from Lil Mo's album on Cash Money, but I think that deal went sour so she never dropped and that song got slept on in most places. I read a Shareefa interview where she said that Chucky has a studio in Baltimore where they recorded, but I checked the liner notes on her album and it says the studio is in Accokeek, Maryland, which is much closer to D.C., so she must not know anything about MD geography. Like I said last week, though, the Shareefa album is pretty good, especially CT's tracks. On "No One Said" he flips one of the songs from Ready To Die that he didn't produce, "Everyday Struggle," in a pretty creative way, but he did do a few great B.I.G. records (he's also credited with producing the "Flava In Ya Ear" remix, but that was pretty much the same beat as Easy Mo Bee's original track so I don't count that). And Thompson did some of my absolute favorite Nas tracks from his last few albums (he also did "Sincerely, We The People" and the Maxwell joint on the last one), I still think "Getting Married" is almost perfect and is probably the only rap song I'll insist on being played at my wedding someday. The Ice Cube/Chris Rock track is hilarious, mostly unintentionally because of how much it reminds me of "It Doesn't Matter."

Previously in the Producer Series:
#1: Shondrae "Bangladesh" Crawford
#2: Rich Harrison
#3: Kevin "Khao" Cates
#4: Chad Wes Hamilton
#5: Neo Da Matrix

Labels:

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment